Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
thanks
grandad43
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 59 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 07:38 PM UTC
I for one would like to thank everyone who is now serving or has already served a tour of duty in a fire zone area!!
It must be a heart rending thing to see a buddy hit with enemy fire
as for me I am past the age of serving however I did serve my country in the national guard and was honorable discharger when my time expired
i server during the Cuban Missile crises and the assaination of Kennedy and those were trying times for us as we were put on stanby statis
my nearest encounter with death was at Fort Stewart Ga.during summer encampment our company X recountered ou campsite and marked it as safe to set up camp
our company was company C 3rd artillery battilion old hicory division
(Idrove an M42A1 Sherman tank modified and equiped with double 40s Pom Poms to continue the story we set up camp about midnight and settled in for a weeks stay while we took turns on the firing range (Our targets were Arcats) (radio controlled aircraft) when the firing began the next morning at 5AM one of our jeeps erupted in flames the cook tent dissapeared and I jerked the waklie talkie away from a frozen com officer and screamed "cease fire Cease fire~~ Cmpany in the impact area!" the firing stopped but not before a couple of my friends were hit with frendly fire and one killed and this happened in the states during a training mission the young and new x officer had reconed the wrong area
after the incident he was busted

Grandad43
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 11:23 PM UTC
Welcome aboard Larry.

A good read there.

Sorry to hear of a death in training we had a few in my years also.

The CO sounds like a few I have had the pleasure of serving under.

In Korea we had an Battalion Co get the axe as his command lead to the drowning of 2 troops.

Dumb SOB .

Well good luck in your builds.

Cheers
grandad43
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 59 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 11:42 PM UTC
Hi Jeff

It gets my goat that our guys and gals are fighting for another countrys "rights" In my opinion I dont thnk that our soldiers need to be fighting anothers countrys war Maybe I am wrong to think this but I do!
we have enough problems here in the states to keep our armed services busy the KKK the neonazisthe black militants and the drug runners NEED to be stoped
this country despertly needs to stop border jumpers( mexico into the USA) and I think that if we deployed our troops along the border the illigial stsmpeed will be cut out

I live in South Crolina and we have enough mexicans here to start their own city they have taken over the Jobs here so much so that a white peson cannot find work
they work cheep and we help finance them by the government paying for their housing and their utility bills ILL STOP NOW

grandad43
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 01:13 PM UTC
I agree Larry but the Owner Jim does not like to talk about events here.

Thought I might let you in on it.

But I do agree with you in a way.

Enjoy those builds.

Nice place I have been there before on the way to Germany,South Carolina that is.