_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Fruil vs Magic Tracks
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 01:26 PM UTC
Hi all. I have noticed that quite a few modelers use Fruil tracks on their models as opposed to the magic tracks that are supplied in the Dragon kits. So I have 2 questions on this. What are Fruil Tracks ? Where can I get them ? Thanks, milvehfan
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,024 Posts
KitMaker Network: 270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 02:17 PM UTC
hi milvfehfan, friul tracks are metal yes metal tracks that are joined together with pins, just clean them up by water and soap and assemble with the pins, after that paint and voila! a pair of tracks better (but more expensive) than magic tracks. though i have never used any the results look really good.
calvin
Tojo72
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all. I have noticed that quite a few modelers use Fruil tracks on their models as opposed to the magic tracks that are supplied in the Dragon kits. So I have 2 questions on this. What are Fruil Tracks ? Where can I get them ? Thanks, milvehfan

Friuls are very good,but expensive,usually $40.00 per set,they are real metal so they sag correctly and detailed.You can get them from most online hobby shops like Greatmodels,Spruebrothers,Missionmodels,sometimes good deals on Ebay.If you have a special project you might want to use them sometimes.
dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 02:34 AM UTC
Milvehfan, the fruil tracks are something I have used only once. I would not want to do to many of them because of the price. I reciently put together a set of fruil tracks. I had little problem with them assembly wise. I recomend you get a dril bit so you can open the holes that sometimes get clogged in the manufacturing process. I have yet to weather them or add any color to them. I will do that at a later time. Keeping the wire straight was the main problem I had with them. Once I figured out a way to keep the wire straight I did real good with them.
Joe
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 967 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 03:48 AM UTC
Very expensive but worth using for one of those special prodjects. They do have they're problems, clean up, drilling the pin holes .4mm .5 mm drill bit but are well worth the pain in your wrists and fingers. Well worth trying. Look on E bay well worth a look for a bargin. Saying this Magic Tracks are great. Hope Dragon stop using the new DS tracks and go back to Magic Tracks. All the info off guys on the Kit Maker network dont seem to like the new DS tracks, they sound like a sightly better detailed rubber band. Which in my mind is going backwards. Dragon please go back to MAGIC TRACKS please
jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 05:13 AM UTC
Friul tracks are expensive but worth it, especially for those special projects. They are also, in my experience, a lot less work than Magic tracks, which, at least for the German Mark IV, are simply regular glued link by link that are already taken off the sprues for you (thats the "magic") My suggestion is to do away with the wire that Friul encloses and replace it with brass rod, its a lot easier to push it through the holes linking the tracks together.

John
Tojo72
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very expensive but worth using for one of those special prodjects. They do have they're problems, clean up, drilling the pin holes .4mm .5 mm drill bit but are well worth the pain in your wrists and fingers. Well worth trying. Look on E bay well worth a look for a bargin. Saying this Magic Tracks are great. Hope Dragon stop using the new DS tracks and go back to Magic Tracks. All the info off guys on the Kit Maker network dont seem to like the new DS tracks, they sound like a sightly better detailed rubber band. Which in my mind is going backwards. Dragon please go back to MAGIC TRACKS please

Well I like the new DS tracks they paint and weather nicely,and are easy to install.I prefer them over the so called magic tracks.
jowady
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well I like the new DS tracks they paint and weather nicely,and are easy to install.I prefer them over the so called magic tracks.

DS tracks are GREAT! At least for the Sherman, which has no track sag, The detail is at least as good as link by link, they are MUCH easier to use, and look just like the real thing. As for the so-called "magic tracks" well, there is nothing magical about them. they are essentially non-workable link by link, you still need jigs and thing to assemble them. They are already cut off the sprue, thats all the magic that they have. If cutting parts off a sprue counts as "magic" then just call me Merlin.

John
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DS tracks are GREAT! At least for the Sherman, which has no track sag, The detail is at least as good as link by link, they are MUCH easier to use, and look just like the real thing. As for the so-called "magic tracks" well, there is nothing magical about them. they are essentially non-workable link by link, you still need jigs and thing to assemble them. They are already cut off the sprue, thats all the magic that they have. If cutting parts off a sprue counts as "magic" then just call me Merlin.

John

Sorry guys DS tracks are better for most tanks that dont occure track sag. For tanks, mainly German that have track sag Magic or even better Fruils are much better than DS rubber bands
jowady
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 08:01 AM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

John

Sorry guys DS tracks are better for most tanks that dont occure track sag. For tanks, mainly German that have track sag Magic or even better Fruils are much better than DS rubber bands

I'm using Friuls for my Mark IVs, I don't know of any D/S for them (not that I would use it.) I only use D/S for American tanks. I have no interest in using so called "magic" tracks, which, at least for the Mark IV are simply standard Dragon link by link that are already off the sprues. Personally I like to build tanks, not tracks.

John
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 08:24 AM UTC

[/quote]Sorry guys DS tracks are better for most tanks that dont occure track sag. For tanks, mainly German that have track sag Magic or even better Fruils are much better than DS rubber bands[/quote]

I'm using Friuls for my Mark IVs, I don't know of any D/S for them (not that I would use it.) I only use D/S for American tanks. I have no interest in using so called "magic" tracks, which, at least for the Mark IV are simply standard Dragon link by link that are already off the sprues. Personally I like to build tanks, not tracks.

[/quote] John yes I prefer Fruils, but they cost as much as a kit. If money is no problem Fruils all the way, but I for one couldn't tread my tanks in metal every time, just far to expensive for me. The detail on Magic Tracks are good and are free. OK you have two knock out spots to remove, but they're alot better than rubber band type tracks, for tanks that have track sag. Even older Dragon single link, cut off the spruce tracks look better on my Tamiya Stug than rubber bands. Also with so many newer kits that have free moving surspension. Its Differcult to get rubber bands to follow the wheels and uneven ground. Thats were Fruils or Modelkasten tracks really work Geraint
milvehfan
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 02:11 PM UTC
Hi all, Thanks for all your answers to my 2 Questions, You all gave me Quite an education on this subject. I Guess I'll have to sell off a few more kits to get a set of these and try them. Like some of you say, there's nothing magic about the magic tracks Many Thanks, milvehfan
 _GOTOTOP