_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
suggestions on a good printer for decals
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 07:34 AM UTC
so im looking for a new printer and i figured i would ask here to see what the "best" printer i can get for printing decals m, should i get a laser printer or a ink jet , any pros and cons of each would be helpful , or a link .

thanks ,J.
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 246 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 10:09 AM UTC
Go with an inkjet, deskjet or photo type printer. Laserjets fuse toner to the paper with heat and would likely melt the decal paper causing a expensive repair.

Unless you get an ALPS printer you will not be able to print in white ink. I personally have used my HP Deskjet 5440 to make some really small decals for 1:700 scale ships. I just do a head calibration before I print to the decal paper and it looks fantastic.
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 10:34 AM UTC
They make decal paper for laser printers, as well. I think the inkjets are the best, though...stylusphoto, hp photo,canon photo printers, etc. Get some good software that renders color well, and you're all set...for everything but white. For white, you have to find a used ALPS printer on the internet somewhere.

Matt

Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 07:25 AM UTC
here's a good source for decal making supplies: http://www.papilio.com/index.html

another suggestion: get an older copy of Corel Draw like Corel Draw 12. they are very cheap if you shop places like eBay. Testor's also makes a decal making program called Sure Thing Decal Maker. the biggest advantage to it are the pre made images. personally, if i had thought of going the Corel Draw route first, i wouldn't have bothered with the Testors program.

for printers i have always preferred Epson. it was the first brand of printer i bought and all subsequent printers have been Epson. i prefer their Stylus Photo line. again, no real reason other than i like them because they work well, are dependable, and the ink cartridges seem to stay available for a long time.
 _GOTOTOP