_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Museum quality ship models companies
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 - 05:32 AM UTC
Hey,
I would like to go out on a limb to mention a couple of websites I just ran into and wanted to get all of your opinions. I first went to a site called www.fineartmodels.com and I thought wow very nice looking kits.Multi media kit, very detailed! Then I looked at the prices and OMFG $3500.00-$12000.00 for a model kit???!!! Are the worth that much?

Now I went to my second website www.motionmodels.com nice kits as well prebuilt made of hard woods and from my understanding talking to a gentleman at the company office they charge $100.00 per inch. Scale of these kits are all up to you. From looking at the website pictures they look pretty nice,but the photos can be deceiving.One good thing I found in this website, I did find my dads ship that he was on in time of his retirement from the navy.
What exactly are these "Museum quality" kits used for? I am thinking they are for people who just don't have the time to build??!!
I don't know.
Anyway give these websites a look over and give me your opinion.
Thank you
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 - 06:57 AM UTC
Hey Wolf-Leader-
These model prices make no sense to people who build models for fun. However, there is a very, very small market for high end -one of a kind models like ships, buildings etc. Nice work if you can get it.

On this forum, we all model for FREE to relax. If you need a completely scratch-built model built by a deadline the rules change, significantly!

I met a couple of guys in Rochester , NY in the mid-1990's who were building ship models for museums, defense contractors, ship yards, and wealthy collectors. One model I saw personally was a 10 ft long Bismark. It was built for a collector who placed it in his home study (along one wall) as a decor item. His wife took a look at it, and suggested that a Titanic would look fantastic on the adjacent wall.
These people have the kind of financial resources that I cannot comprehend. But they are out there. That is the target market for companies like the ones you mentioned.

Steve
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 - 10:07 AM UTC
hey don't get me wrong I am an avid modeler. All I was asking was about the kits of people who would by these models. Plus when I saw them, I was shocked by the quality and prices, thats all. No hard feelings..I hope
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 - 02:25 PM UTC
One thing to consider, also, is that if they are museum quality, they are built to very exacting standards...the type of wood, thickness, preservative techniques employed, and verification of same at several points during the build. The number of rivets counted is only the beginning. The research is also brought into play in considering if a model is "museum quality." Very exacting, very demanding title to put on a model. Takes great resources to build, and great resources to purchase. Remember, though that if you have worked for the money, you should be able to afford your toys (appreciative smile). There is a book that might shed some light. Smithsonian's Miniature Wings. About the aircraft models at The Air and Space in D.C. Has some great photos. I might be a little off on the titlem but I think it's close...if interested, Google Miniature Wings.

Enjoy what you do...you are all way above the crowd. With respect,
Matt

Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 - 03:33 PM UTC
Hey,
I am glad you told me this.I was just amazed at the quality and craftsmanship they (models) entail. I meant no hard feeling to any of my fellow modelers,I honestly thought that they were actual model kits.
I am very Sorry.
I guess those are the kind of people that have so much money they don't know what to do with it. LOL
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 07:06 AM UTC
Hey Wolf-Leader-
I took absolutely no offense to any of your comments. You have no reason to apologize at all.

It is difficult to understand how a model could cost thousands.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 04:12 PM UTC
Well, I could see some markets for this caliber of building. Yacht Clubs,officer's clubs,very high scale resteraunts/bars,as well as endowed museums. I wouldn't buy a kit of that price unless I had deposit from job to cover it,though.
Seems there is a market(tiny) for it.
Rick
 _GOTOTOP