_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Airbrushing camoflauge
Machu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 208 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 01:36 AM UTC
How do you airbrush camoflauge without getting the little speckles of paint all over the surrounding area?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 01:51 AM UTC
If you're airbrushing with soft camo, you can do it by freehand. If hard edges, use masking tapes.

To prevent spots, regulate the pressure. If the source is in can (like mine). Stop airbrushing when it cools cause it lose pressure just like with air cans
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 05:03 AM UTC
I think the problem is your air pressure ,I usually shoot between 15 and 25 lbs pressure and don't have too much of a problem with that..If you can't adjust your pressure then ,maybe you are spraying too much paint at once ...close your nozzle and make more passes over the same area instead of one heavy pass,or just go back over the spots with a drybrushing after you have finished it should hide most of it ...The biggest thing to remember is practice..practice ..practice.

Richard
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 564 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 03:51 PM UTC
Here are some specifics that can help you.

If you are getting speckles, then your pressure is too high or your paint is too thick or both. Try reducing the pressure and thin your paints until they have consistency of skim milk. If you get "spidering" then your paint is too thin.

Also, as you airbrush the camo, draw a line for where you want to spray with a pencil, then spray "away from the edge." In other words, point the airbrush inside the boundaries of the painted area. (towards the center of the area you are spraying.)

It also helps if you have a double action airbrush. If you are using acrylics, you can also try adding a retarder, or moistener to your paint. This helps as well.

Hope these things help you out.

Scott
Machu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 208 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 04:30 PM UTC
tnx all
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2003 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

tnx all

No problem. Just enjoy your modeling and never forget to clean you AB after every use. (Darn! Above all instruments I clean, the hardest would be the AB ). Happy modeling!

PS: Show us your work after its done :-)
BoarHead
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 121 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2003 - 01:50 AM UTC
what I do is to mask the part that you want to paint and cover the rest of the model with a regular plastic bag.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2003 - 04:02 AM UTC
If you want a hard edge finish ..try silly putty the stuff works great and is reusable.

Richard
 _GOTOTOP