_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Favorite thing you do WHILE making models?
keroopie67
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 54 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 07:07 PM UTC
HI All,
This is just a fun one to you out there.
What do you like to do while you are making models? Listen to music?
Watch t.v.?, Watch a movie? Surf the Net? And when you have been doing this, have you made mistakes making the model?
I ask this because tonight I was watching the Canucks beat the Blues in their first game of the playoffs (yippee), and I ended up gluing the wrong thing on. Luckly I caught it and could remove it before the glue set up.

I never eat/drink while making kits cause - you just never know if you reach for the wrong thing without lookin...... (gag!)

Cheers,
Eric
P.S. GOOOOOOOOOOOO 'NUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKSSSSS!
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 12:52 PM UTC
As a long time suffering Leafs fan, I hope Vancouver wins the cup just to see Sundin raise the cup, he suffered plenty here in TO with some horrid teams. As far as modelling, summertime, baseball games on the radio are perfect, slow paced and long.

Frank
keroopie67
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 02:30 PM UTC
Hi Frank,
You are totally right about baseball, you don't really have to watch or listen too much, I just listen for the "roar" of the crowd or "crack" of the bat before I pay attention. Besides you have the Jays to root for. We have...... Seattle Mariners out here.
Yes it would be nice for Sundin, and all the Canucks to lift the Cup - I would like to see it in my lifetime! Last time we had a major championship was the Whitecaps soccer team eons ago when they won the NASL (1979?) - although the Lions have won the Grey Cup several times in the last 2 decades.

Cheers,
Eric
tigermothtimoth
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 21 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 07:31 AM UTC
Yes, I'm on the Canucks bandwagon now, but when cut I still bleed "Oiler Orange". Watching hockey consumes me and I can't build during a game. Therefore music is my modelling companion. Blues please,the music not the team.
caSSius
Visit this Community
Saskatchewan, Canada
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 06:54 AM UTC
I'll often have the laptop on the corner of the bench displaying reference material...but I don't surf the 'net in the regular sense while modelling...and although I installed a TV in my modelling room, I can't remember the last time I turned it on. It was too distracting I guess, but the baseball idea is a good one...I might give that a try.

Without a doubt though, my favorite thing to do while modelling is listen to music...heck, it's my favorite thing to do while breathing...LOL...I've always got music playing no matter what I'm doing....at home, at work or in the car, there's always somethin' playin'...usually jazz...

Cheers
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 12:57 PM UTC
I almost always have music on and often have WINSPWW2 on the laptop. I model to relax so whatever else is going on has contribute to that
Darryl
tominizer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 118 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 09:00 AM UTC
Our fish tanks are built into the wall in the basement where I've built in my workbench (furnace room)............. so I listen to the water circulation. Helps calm my frayed nerves when I drop a tiny piece of photo-etch and can't find it anywhere

And then there's listening to my wife screaming at the kids.................. and then scream for me.......... wondering where the hell I've buried myself and why I'm not helping with them doing this or that Gawd I luv that................

Soon.............. I'll be moving my computer in so I can surf the net and listen to some music as well................ with head phones so i won't hear anything or anyone but the music!!
keroopie67
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 01:09 PM UTC
Hi guys,
It seems listening to music was a common thing to do while working on models..... so.... I got an older receiver (a Denon) for $5 at a garage sale and hooked up my Dad's old turntable to it, added a few speakers from the local thrift store (Salvation Army store) and VOILA!!!! Music from the eighties to enjoy while constructing models, just like when I was a kid (I had a "Realistic" (Radio Shack brand) casette player with am/fm). Mostly I listen to records (Van Halen, Journey, Toto, The Police, etc. -even a little disco - hahah). What I find helpful is that at the end of a side I have to get up and turn the record over making me take short breaks while building. I don't think that I build any faster, but I don't get cross-eyed and tired in the neck so quickly.

As a side note, I almost started a new hobby in collecting records, older speakers/audio components........ nah, better stick to making models.....

What other hobbies do all y'all do? Or what things do you collect?

Cheers, and have a great end of the summer!

Eric
tominizer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 118 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 - 12:40 AM UTC

I have six fish tanks........... raising some African Cichlids....... another tank is a planted tank with fresh water fish. Somewhere stuff away is a decent collection of 1/18 diecast, restoration of a '88 BMW E30 M3 that's under tarps in the garage presently................. too many things, not enough time.
keroopie67
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 06:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

restoration of a '88 BMW E30 M3 that's under tarps in the garage presently................. too many things, not enough time.

Wow Tom, I almost bought an '87 or was it '89 E30 M3 back in '98. It had almost 200K on it and the dealer wanted close to $19000 still! It was sweet looking, but I know now it was a rare car and hard to get parts for especially since the rear axel is wider than the front (of course you would know more about it). How far along are you with the restoraration? Did you get it new? Have you raced it? The four banger must be fun to wind up!

Cheers,
Eric
 _GOTOTOP