_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Ever tossed a model?
cheese
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 106 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 07:33 AM UTC
I know theres a discussion of worst model ever, but lets just say that you have a good model on your hands, you get about 50% there and somehow a very critical piece just doesnt fit right. Ever get frustrated enough to say, "ahhh, the hell with it....this fix is going to be a lot more mess then i really want to get myself into"?

I just did!!! I was working on Italeri's A-10 Thundebolt II. I have heard of some fit issues but to my amazement, my kit had about a 1/8 gap on the front gear bay and cannon piece that gets glued on with the cockpit "tub". First, I sanded.......fitted.....sanded......fitted.......sanded......fitted......sanded.....i got it about 99% there dry and then something funky happened while gluing.....the piece pushed apart the fuesalage halves and then didnt want to fit right......Now, i got to the point of utter exhaustion with the thing (after some more seam work and filing had already been done elsewhere)......so, after a brief crying consultation with SWMBO, I (we) decided it would be best to pitch the thing and grab a kit from my very small stash and do an oob.....funny how she knows these terms now too.....

either way, I know that some of you are really into not being defeated and will simply put it away for later, but do you reach that point?

Oh, i plan on making the A-10 too....its just looking like its gonna be the Hobby Boss version......

Cheers,
Mike
BoogalooJ
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 08:28 AM UTC
Well, i definitely have the kits that get put aside for a while, but I also have a few that have been permanently moved to the experimental pile. Haven't actually tossed a kit yet though...

If I know that there is a better version of the same kit out there (or already in my stash) and the one I have just isn't working for me, it has a better chance of becoming "experimental".

That way, if I want to try a new technique that I'm not sure will work and I'm not willing to try on a better model, I grab one of the experimentals. It seems to work for me, and that way it's not admitting defeat, it's learning!

Jamie
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 10:00 AM UTC
I've tossed a couple. RPM's Minenraumer just drove me crazy so it ended up in the can. Had the Revell A-10 that ended up back in the box 'for a while' because of having to re-scribe panel lines. The one that I'm ashamed of though is Tamiya's deuce and a half. It was the Red Ball Express version and for some reason I couldn't get the cab aligned correctly on the chassis. No matter what I did it wouldn't line up. I ended up launching it across the room in a hissy fit. And the funny thing was that I had built the model before and it was a fantastic kit so whatever was problem was with this one was probably minor AND something I had done anyway.
cheese
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 106 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 10:45 AM UTC
Jamie,

I completely see why you would keep one, but man let me tell the satisfaction i got from eliminating it.......I have a kit a keep around to throw some paint on or try new things (which are very very new to me cause i just got back 2 kits ago).....I dont know, maybe im a little crazy but i just couldnt have that a-10 sitting their looking at me laughing......

so i canned it and now i feel its more like

it was definately a learning experience......i got to really work those seam lines on the wings so i came away with something......had some fun with some PE too........

Mike
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 11:20 AM UTC
I've toss out more than I can count, or care to remember.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 11:32 AM UTC
Yip .... Airfix´s 1/700 (?) model of the Vasa. Have been to the Vasa museum several times, and its a must if you ever are in Stockholm, but after 2 evenings, I got dissheartened .. lost interest ... and didn´t feel like wasting any more time on it. Binned it directly.
And felt really good about it as well.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 11:45 AM UTC
Used fireworks when I was younger. Now I use a .22. After they have been used for experimental painting, weathering, etc.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 11:53 AM UTC
Tossed, no. Hurled, pitched, thrown several across the basement in utter disgust. You would be amazed far a Tammy Panther Aus A could fly. I have several I put back in boxes awaiting the patience of Job.
Life is too short to waste time on crappy kits.

Shaun

/If anyone needs spare parts, let me know, I have several grocery bags full...
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 12:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Life is too short to waste time on crappy kits

Amen, Brother . I have more models than I do time right now...I'm not above saying "something is just not working...what's next"?

Cheers,
Mike
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 01:14 PM UTC
When i was a kid I threw then away, played with them, shot them with my bb guns.

Now, I usualy rebuild models before throwing them away, but i currently have a tamiya sturmtiger with all the possible AM halfway done somewhere in a closet...

Frank
KESTRELSUPER
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 86 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 08:09 AM UTC
i recently built dragons t34 bedspring,i couldnt wait to get my hands on it and when i started building i pulled a straight 15 hour marathon till it was ready to paint,i took more care of that baby than i take of the wife...i applied the primer and base coat with no problems,it was going so smooth,straight after the paint was applied the phone rang and it was the mother in law,,after 25 minutes on the phone i went back to the workshop and.... HOLY S%^T,,i'd left the hull sitting on the platform underneath a spotlight..needless to say heat and styrene dont mix,just typing brings the emotions flooding back
As for tossing models..no need i just give them to my 5 and 8 year old boys..its just as effective as a hammer any day!!!LOL
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 09:27 AM UTC
Michael,

I've never thrown away a kit that's frustrated me. I have two options for those kinds; 1) put it off to the side for awhile (and eventually I'll get back to it or I'll employ option #2), or 2) blow it up in increasingly different and unique ways from the last one! (C4 has been the most extreme method....back "in the day")

Mike
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 11:22 AM UTC
Im working a kit at this time that is......well......testing my inner self. Its the sIG 33 (Sf) German 150mm self-propelled gun from ALAN I believe.

I think they just said lets break this piece into 7000 pieces instead of just 1 solid piece like all the other companies. Oh !! And by the way, lets make sure the parts dont just ease into place, how about SNAPPING into place or make them not fit altogether correctly.

At that point, some other exec in the development room said, "How about we rearrange the order that these parts are to go together just to try thier patience !?!?"

At that point, the whole development team stood together as one and clapped, cheered and patted thier backs on another kit they ruined. Well done !!

So goes my story of either shelving it or just what happens when metal meets plastic at high velocity speeds.
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 01:56 PM UTC
Ive hurled a chally 2 with a dozer blade at my understanding brick wall next to some dents and knocks with my fist ahaha
wombat58
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 366 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 12:27 AM UTC
I haven't actually tossed one yet, but I have come very close several times. It is so frustrating when parts don't fit, paint doesn't go on right, decals fail, or I drop a very important bit and it just disappears, vanished, gone forever, no matter how hard I search, it's gone.......so, it's either toss the project or make the missing part, I always do the latter.
As my age edges on I imagine I will get to the point when I won't care about the bad things and just toss the build, hopefully that will be a long time off because I love modelling and get a great deal of satisfaction looking at the end result.

Current projects;
3 x WNW 1/32 WW1 aircraft
Roden DH-2 1/32 WW1
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 03:15 AM UTC
a few have ended up as sacrafices in flame to the spirit of styrene and one I even man handled into tiny little parts. usually they end up in the spare part drawer as supports for dios as wrecked and abandond equipment. there is always something usefull in the left over tempertantrum, did I say always? linberg tanks.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 04:23 AM UTC
Ever tossed a model? Yes, but he was very nice about it afterwards.

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist that.

Only once - a Do 24 whose wing just wouldn't co-operate. I've found as I get older that I have a lot more patience and can work through problems if I take a run at them. Mind you, I suspect I've been lucky in my choice of kits, and something is waiting in the stash to bite me. Not looking forward to the first time I need to sand a resin cockpit to translucency to get it to fit ...
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 10:42 AM UTC
I definately have,Hobbycraft`s (trumpeter) BMP-1.
Got to the stage of putting the tracks on to find they were too large not to mention inflexible so it got stamped flat in the back garden - resented the glue/paint that got wasted on that sucka` !!!
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 11:28 AM UTC
I can't remember tossing any, but i've sure melted more than a few down.
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 04:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Used fireworks when I was younger. Now I use a .22. After they have been used for experimental painting, weathering, etc.

Same here I love the sight of exploding plastic in the morning,looks like ...victory
cyclones6
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,199 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 04:28 PM UTC
I am doing pretty good now but for a while I had about a 70% toss rate. I "experimented" a little too much and have you ever noticed the acual model is nothing like it is imagined in your head?
Evan
Tonyfr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 516 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 02:42 PM UTC
I am new to military model but have been building auto and figure models for a while. I never "throw" them out. First, I sit with them for a while and have a few . Try to think of something completely new to pull the kit out of the crapper. If there is no good ideas. I turn out the lights. Next day, I make the kit an extras junk yard. That is the joys sticking with on scale size. However, I am amazed at the number times I was able to turn things around....usually with a bit of work but yeah, I already bought the kit, why not finish it.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 01:23 PM UTC
Well let's see, There was that airplane from Williams Bros. that had flexible fuselage sides that didn't show up until the wings were attached and the plane was lifted. Oh, and there was this space station that had the worst misalignments and gaps of ANY kit I had ever attempted. The only other one was an early trumpeter t-72 that was just bad. All the rest I have managed to complete or are 'in-waiting'.
capnjock
RobG57
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
entire network: 33 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 03:45 PM UTC
My first 3 tank models I built as a 15 year old got petrol bombed, the melted plastic is still fused into the concrete after 35 years. They where 1/32 Revell kits I got at a $2 store and they got me hooked on the hobby. What do you do with 1/32 scale when the standard at the time was 1/35 and 1/72 scale.

Oh do conversion kits count, with their #@!% fiddly PE bits, and warped resin and cast metal parts, they drive me up the wall.
DanAir
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 31 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 02:01 AM UTC
Absolutely tossed some models! I started modelling 1/72 WW2 airplanes..and sometimes the parts were so tiny...and they broke.. .. I just tossed the airplane away.
Nowadays with the 1/35 armour I'm more relaxed..lol
Now I swear instead of toss....its a good habbit when moddeling!
 _GOTOTOP