_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
1/6 Project - materials advice
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hi all,

I'm planning a small(ish!) diorama in 1/6 and I want to create a stone block wall effect. My initial thoughts are to use plaster in some form as I am used to it and think it gives a good stone effect.

The walls would be approx 4ft by 3ft and I am looking to create an effect similar to my 1/48 project here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/97320#804508

What would you advice be on how best to achieve this?

I have wondered about using the same teqhnique I used in the 1/48 project - plaster cast onto a hardboard base.

I wondered if I could use DIY-type plasterboard but the one in my local store seems to have a paper covering, rather than a raw plaster surface.

Other than that I have wondered about polystyrene but that would be new to me.

It needs to be reasonably lightweight but also robust enough not to warp and crack.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcome...

Many thanks!

A
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 - 11:04 AM UTC
I have never done a diorama, but I have done a lot of fine art work, so I'll offer some thoughts which might spur others: use some masonite; coat it with a couple of coats of Gesso (an acrylic painting ground-available at art supply stores), sand lightly between coats, then texture it with drywall compound, and paint and finish. If it doesn't detract from the appearance, screw some straightening reinforcements to the back side and fill and cover the holes and screw heads with the Gesso and "plaster" (drywall compound). Advantage: Both Gesso and drywall compound should be relatively inexpensive because both artists and construction types use a lot of it. Or (#2): use Foam core (thick) and treat it the same. One difference might be to either coat both sides with the painting ground (so that it will pull both ways when it dries), or glue a support (straightening support) structure to the back if it won't be visible. Both the Gesso and the drywall compound are thinnable, so you can get it to a desirable and workable consistency for your artistic needs.I have seen and appreciated the diorama work that you folks do, so maybe this helps, or at least gets you thinking about some other materials you might not have previously brought into play.

Let me know what you think. Nice to post here for the first time.

Matt

Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2009 - 04:25 AM UTC
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. I guess that isn't a million miles from my idea of skimming plaster over hardboard - but I can see the advantages of what you suggest. I'll take a look in my DIY shop ad see that the prices are like for drywall compound.

Many thanks- and welcome to the boards!

A
 _GOTOTOP