_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Something a bit different
Pyromaniac
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 375 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 07:02 AM UTC
As my GCSE design technology project i decided to make something that i've wanted for some time now- a desktop modeling workstation type thing that i've struggled to find in shops. part of the project requires me to get some kind of feedback on the finished product, so i figured that in theory you guys are the target market so perhaps you could comment. anything is helpful, what you think of the overall design, usefulness, possible improvements, how much you would pay, etc. your comments are highly valued.

I was not sure of the best place to put this so i put it in both the 'Constructive Feedback' and 'Tools' sections
aburbank
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 07:39 AM UTC
I think it is a little to confining, I use a 4 ft counter top and I still don't have enough room. It would work in a pinch if you were short on room. I usually have 6 to 8 kits going at once.
Pyromaniac
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 - 07:49 AM UTC
yeah this was kinda designed to save space. i keep my stuff a 3 ft chest of drawers in my bedroom and then i have a peice of plywood roughly A3 size that i move to my computer desk to work on. the workstation was designed around an enlarged version of this. everything else just got added to the design. it does actually feel bigger than it looks in the photo though.
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 01:20 AM UTC
Luke

Looks great and functional - as the holes, slots etc can be presonalised by the user.

I do agree with Allan though about size. I think this would be great for braille scale people, but blind old f@@ts like me who work with 1/32 may keep crashing wings into the walls

The only possible "improvement" I could suggest may be a small lip at the front edge to stop the exacto from rolling off and spearing whichever part of the anatomy happens to be in the way.

Good work though.

Brian
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 04:49 AM UTC
I like the idea and seems to be very functional . If you could have this in different sizes to met what modelers are looking for I think you would have a hit . My work area is very large and still don't have enough room . As for asking price it would depend on the size you plan for this , time to build it , materials used . Shipping is also another factor . Large items would cost way tomuch . So maybe just sell the plans and you can have different designs for modellers to choose from . Just a thought !

Still very cool !!!!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 06:16 AM UTC
nice station
I agree on the space, but for a mobile unit it is nice.
Maybe a tweak on shape and make more of an upside down T shape with more width on the works space. It will free up some hand space too.

One nice addition for any size is a 'rib' along the back or side to clamp your clamps to.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - 08:42 AM UTC
A matte surface for the work area would be helpful too. I've got a similar light setup and use a sheet of glass for a worktop.
I ended up spraying light grey paint over the surface becasue the glare was distracting.

A place to put clamps has already been suggested, but a magnetic strip along the outside left edge will hold files, scissors, etc in place for use as well. The kitchen knife strips work on the edge of my workspace.
bizarro1
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 30 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 - 07:40 PM UTC
I like it!
Andronicus
Visit this Community
entire network: 391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 - 03:23 AM UTC
Hi Pyromaniac,

I think this is great - it looks well-built ; simple, sturdy and a good finish. It looks like you've thought carefully about the layout of tools, paints, lights etc.

I completely sympathise about the space issue. I too started off using a piece of chipboard as a desk and realised I needed something that will actually contain my mess - the more space I have the more I spread out - confinement means I have to be disciplined and tidy.

It's also great you have a school project that will serve you in the future. I built a cat-food dispenser that was A) rubbish and B) completely redundant.

I hated diong that stuff at school - I'm now a total convert to making stuff yourself - it's cheaper and you get what you actually need.

I built myself a closeable desk - like the top-half of a bureau. I'll make the bottom and sides when we've moved to a larger place - I'll post some pics up this evening.

Well done!

A
Pyromaniac
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 01:28 AM UTC
cool please do...
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 03:35 AM UTC
Hi luke

If this was the size of a typical briefcase and had two solid sides and a rear that sat just proud of your tallest tool it would be cool to have a hinged and or simple lift off removable lid that either folded out in front and/or attached to the sides to extend your work surface.

With a carry handle it could used as a portable modelling workspace for caravan holidays or model shows to work on or fix models.

Fixing a cutting mat on the flip down surface and maybe a small removable glue spot or mixing pallet in a wee corner for dipping tooth pics into glue spots or paint. I also use a 150mm x 150mm x 3mm thick flat metal plate for working with the aluminium that could be fixed to the fold down for working on P/Etch.

Maybe the cleaning cups could be placed more to the back that could open up the width at the front a little too.

A place to fix a multi hand and magnifier and maybe four soft corner pads (type that are used to protect carpets from heavy wear and tear) on all sections that are likely to be in contact the wife' expensive dining table.

I could have been doing with one of these last week on my caravan holiday. I might even try knocking one up myself after seeing yours as it would be be a better way of storing my tools than the deep toolbox thingy I use and have to pull all the tools out of before I can use the one I want..

Hope the feed back is useful.

All the best and good luck with your project marks.
Andronicus
Visit this Community
entire network: 391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 08:51 AM UTC
Hi - I've put some pics on my account if you're interested...

Cheers

A
montythefirst
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 11:41 AM UTC
looks great well done
 _GOTOTOP