_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Forming aluminium foil
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 08:36 AM UTC
I found an item in 'Features' about using aluminium foil for headlight reflectors. This has been a common technique among car modellers for years. The tricky bit is forming a neat dome shape.

This does not apply only to lights;- I needed some 1/8" domed end caps for my scratchbuilt fire extinguisher brackets when building the Centurion.

The technique I use involves steel balls and a piece of steel with a number of different size holes drilled through it. Select a hole that is the same diameter as the item you need. Then select a steel ball that is just a bit larger than the hole. Lay some foil over the hole, press the ball onto the foil to make a small depression and then give it a short shap tap with a hammer. You will find that the ball makes a nice smooth dish and cuts it out at the same time.

I usually bang out many more than I need then sort through to select the best ones to use.

Hardened steel balls can be obtained by breaking up ball bearings or individually for a modest sum from any bearing distributor.

Regards Dave
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 09:55 AM UTC
Interesting tip Dave, thanks for sharing it... I was just thinking about buying one of these ready made cubes wit holes and delivered with hardened steel balls too (the downside is that they cost a real fortune), but now I'll give a try to your solution...
Ciao and thanks again
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 12:53 PM UTC
I did not realise there was a commercial tool scoccia.

My modelling is done on the dining room table so I have to visit my workshop and use 'full size' tools for some jobs. The item I use is a rivetting dolly from my aero engineering days. It was a handy tool then, being a block of steel with holes drilled right through and then countersunk on one end. I used to use it for dimpling rivet holes. However I find it does a lot of modelling jobs too, which just goes to show it is not always the flashy gear that is the handiest.

Regards Dave
 _GOTOTOP