_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
pic posting help please
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 04:19 AM UTC
Can anyone explain how to post pics in terms that us computer unliterate people can follow? Have tried to post but don't know where they went, even on photo bucket. I know it is something I'm doing wrong as I can attach pics ( only three at a time, too big?) and send them out in e-mails, but can't get them to armorama. I'm just coming out of the stone age of electronics and really screwed up the wifes first computer and don't want a rehash that expensive hell again. It looses purchasing power at the local hobby shop untill you make wifey happy again. . I appreciate any help anyone can give.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 11:11 AM UTC
Bob follow this link which I believe should help you, if it doesn't write here again and I will try to figure out how best to help you.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 03:51 AM UTC
Darren, I appriciate the help but as usual it didn't work. Everything was fine till I got to log in, no log in space. I already signed up on kitmaker so I went to my photos and then upload photos. Got two pics downloaded on my gallery but can't get them posted to armorama or anywhere else. I'm begining to think that it's an electronic conspiracy and I'd be better off staying in the caveman world. At this point I don't know if it's this computer (operator) or just a glitch. Might even go back to the old photo camera and just send the pics out via mail, but then again, it would take forever. I just have no idea what in the world is going on with this.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 - 10:03 AM UTC

if you can see the two pictures from your gallery in this post it should work for you. Here is the information portion you should be placing between the image tags just to make sure you are copying the correct information http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/2009_0202picturesSBOBmodel0014.JPG
there must not be spaces between the image tags and the location information.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 02:57 AM UTC
Darren, once again I thank you for your help. Seems the electronic stupid bug has ahold of me. I hope this corrects my mistakes. You did a great job on the write up for posting and I appreciate it along with a whole bunch of us. bob d
B24Liberator
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 134 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2009 - 01:29 PM UTC
Don't feel bad -- it's contagous! I've still been fiddling around with it. Based on teh above instructions, I'll give it a wack.

Thanks all!
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 09:16 AM UTC
I either need a night course in basic computer stuff or the 12 step program again. one or the other will work? no idea what a server is must figure this out someday.
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 05:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

if you can see the two pictures from your gallery in this post it should work for you. Here is the information portion you should be placing between the image tags just to make sure you are copying the correct information http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/2009_0202picturesSBOBmodel0014.JPG
there must not be spaces between the image tags and the location information.

And what if we CAN'T see the images, like me right now. I'm also having trouble posting pictures. I got to the page where it asks for the images you wish to upload, and it is taking FOREVER. The computer itself is a new one and I haven't had any problems with its speed in the past, so I don't know if it would be a hardware problem.
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 05:45 PM UTC
Okay it finally finished attempting to upload. I got the following message:

"The category you chose for this photo can't contain photos."

Sooooo...what now?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2010 - 07:15 PM UTC
Robby,
The "Upload Photos" link is visible on every page of the gallery but users can only upload to specific areas. One such area is your own gallery page or sub-albums. If you click on the "Photos" button next to your info in the forums you should be in that area and be able to upload photos.

Jim
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 11:14 AM UTC
Still having trouble...I hear that there are size restrictions on the images. Do my pictures have to be 800 x 600 or lower?
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 490 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 10:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Still having trouble...I hear that there are size restrictions on the images. Do my pictures have to be 800 x 600 or lower?

The restriction isn't so much the dimensions of the picture but the size of the file. The file size limit is 3072KB, which means 3MB (megabytes), which means 3,145,728 bytes. So, if the size of your file is bigger than that, it won't upload.

Note that some operating systems have the option to store files on disk as compressed. I'm not sure if the reported file size is compressed or uncompressed. If the size is for a compressed file, then it still might be too big as the operating system has to uncompress it before sending it.
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The restriction isn't so much the dimensions of the picture but the size of the file. The file size limit is 3072KB, which means 3MB (megabytes), which means 3,145,728 bytes. So, if the size of your file is bigger than that, it won't upload.

Ah...my pictures are on average 4 MB. Sorry to be so unknowledgeable here, but do you know how I can lower the file size?
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 490 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 07:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah...my pictures are on average 4 MB. Sorry to be so unknowledgeable here, but do you know how I can lower the file size?

That requires the use of a graphics program. I use something called Paint Shop Pro (mine is an old version but it works for me). Most graphics programs should have the ability to resize an image. For example, PSP has a Resize menu item which brings up a dialog box. In it you can specify what size you want the image to be in pixels, percentage, inches, or metric. There is a box (default is checked I think) to retain the aspect ratio of the image (so that the image isn't stretched/shrunk more in one direction than the other).
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 - 04:27 PM UTC
This is so frustrating...so I downsized all my pictures to 2.4 MB at the most, yet I still get that error message, "The category you chose for this photo can't contain photos." Frankly, I don't even know what category I've been choosing!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 06:15 PM UTC
Rob...1st off, are you logged in on the pictures section there - click on "photos" on your posting bar{next to "profiles"} and look in the upper RH corner of that page and see if it says "log in" or "log out"...your the opposite statis of what it says.
2nd, when you are logged in{same password as here, and yes, you have to be logged in here on this site and there}, are you hitting "upload"...I gotta ask...if so, do you see "create a new album" in any of the blank boxes...make one up...say, "general"...I think what it's telling you is that it needs a specific place to send the pic{s}.
As for resizing your pics on your own computer, do you have MS paint? You can also use that to resize your pics too...
Hey, it took me a while to figure it all out, so I can understand your frustration...I got a photobucket.com account to play with now{free} but that's another loading/site here uploading thing from this.
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 - 03:56 PM UTC
If I were to just get a photobucket account would that solve my problems? Maybe the KitMaker picture place is just being a jerk to me. Perhaps photobucket could be a little easier to me?
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 11:42 AM UTC
Rob, because your pics are huge is why it's taking forever to load. Hit the "start" button{lower left of your screen/bottom bar} and then hit "search", when the lil window pops up type in "MS paint". Let me know if you find it...have it, and we'll go from there to help you resize the pics.....
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 12:19 PM UTC
I'm on a Mac. I don't have Paint.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 05:47 AM UTC
Well, this is more comparable to Photoshop than MS Paint, but why not give GIMP a try?
It's more complicated than paint (same way as PS is), but peeking at a tutorial or two for basic usage should get you going in no time.
For Macs, it supports Mac OS X.

If you're photos' size averages around 4MB and you upload them straight without any resizing and compressing, they don't only take a long time to upload, but also fill up your photo hosting service's storage space quickly and make forum thread containing said pictures very heavy and slow to load for other users as well. (and depending on the forum, VERY large pictures can also mess up the page layout)
Resizing your photos is definately a good thing to do. Well, you could of course take the photos using a lower resolution in the first place, but then there's would be little or no room for adjustments like resizing and cropping. Better to snap them large and then edit them for uploading.

While switching to photobucket won't help with straight-from-the-camera photos (I think there's limits on file size as well, at least on the free version), I personally find PB a bit more convenient to use. For example, it displays IMG-tagged file URLs under the thumbnails for easy forum posting. You get 500MB of storage on the free version.

_GOTOTOP