_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Wow on price of new Tamiya Jag Tiger
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 879 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 08:51 PM UTC
Hi

I knew that prices were going up, and I expected the new Jag tiger from Tamiya to be up around the $90 AUS in the hobby store but when I saw it today in my local hobby store for $115 AUS.............well I didn't buy it. Funny as I had been going down weekly hoping it would be there but for $115 AUS I thought I would just go to my cupboard and build one of my other kits.

I also saw the other kit ( 8 wheel thingy ww2 german) a re-release with a metal barrel and that was $82 AUS as well.

This has really push me to start making kits I already have. Sad to say but at these prices I think the hobby is going to do itself out of bussiness.

Ryally
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 09:05 PM UTC
I bought my first 1:35 tank kit about a year ago, it was a Fine Mold's Type 95 light tank. It cost me $30. Now, the same kit would cost me over $60.

I'm primarily a figure modeller which is a lot cheaper ($15-20 per kit). But like you, I am sticking to building kits I already have in the stash for the time being.

Chas
phantomstang
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 01:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi

This has really push me to start making kits I already have. Sad to say but at these prices I think the hobby is going to do itself out of bussiness.

Ryally

Sad to say, you might be right. How much do you really want to spend on a kit? The technology of mouldings and other parts in these things are great, but are they really worth it? Most of my stash is older Tamiya kits and i am quite happy to settle for these. I am sorry, but i just can't justify $115 for a 1/35 scale tank, no matter what is in the box!!!
I am glad i have been collecting kits for years. Your right there too, it's time to start building and stop spending......is that possible?.....

Phantomstang
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
entire network: 66 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 10:03 AM UTC
Good reason to buy at HLJ:-

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM35295
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 11:16 AM UTC
Tamiya are traditionally expensive though, no matter where in the world you buy them. I know the plastic scale model division is a loss leader, but I really don't know how they do it, since (although they go together really easily) they just price themselves right out the market in terms of value for money when one compares detail to similar offering from other marquis.

But back to the topic of the Jagdtiger:

Paul: is that 35295 German Heavy Tank Destroyer Jagdtiger (Early) that you're referring to?

If so, try this guy: http://www.tamiya-direct.com/tamiyahq/list.php?qsearch=jagd&mtype=search

His prices seem ok (*just* ok, nothing amaing, but still...). I haven't bought from him personally, but Brad (Honeycut) has and he seemed happy with the price and service on his purchases - fair enough they weren't Tamiya products
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 06:41 PM UTC
Try LuckyModel...
http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=TA%2035295
$78.78 (AuD) shipped (($56.06 USD)

Still a bit rich for my liking though....
 _GOTOTOP