_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Another Newbie Question...
19Delta
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 101 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 03:16 AM UTC
Alright the M2 Is all airbrushed, and I have put the decals on along with a coat of dull clear coat. I want to add some "dirt" and what not to it, my question is How Do I Do That? Ive heard the word drybrushing and weathering on here before does that have anything to do with this?
THANKS!
James
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 03:24 AM UTC
19Delta,

Washes and dryburshing are both part of the overall weathering tecniques that most of us use to make our armor look more worn out and realistic. I found a link (below) that will explain probably better than I can. One word of caution: Watch what use use for your wash. Typically if the base coat is oil based, wash with acrylics. If your base is acrylic, wash with oils. Hope this helps.

The link...

http://www.cueballweb.com/~worktop/tips_tricks/wash_and_weather.html
GhengisWong
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 74 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hi Delta 19.
Keenan is right on with the weathering. If you are thinking about dirt in particular, you might also consider scraping some pastels to create a powder to use to dust on some "dirt". Just don't use the crayon type pastel, go for the chalk kind.

Keenan. Nice tip on the wash selection. I'll have to remember that one. I have just been using acrylic on acrylic and not totally satisfied with the results.

Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 11:30 PM UTC
First off, Welcome to Armorama and congratulations on your wise choice of building tracked vehicles
Weathering is the general process most of us use to make our model vehicles look used/dirtied up. We could discuss weathering techniques ad nauseum here so I'll refer you to this article to get you started. I would also recommend searching through the features section. After that, if you have more questions or are confused by something, let us know, we'll help all we can.
One of the most important things to remember about weathering is that when you think a little bit more will be just right, STOP, it's done. Less is better. It's very easy to overdo weathering effects. Let it sit for a day or so and look at it again later. You can always add more later but it's usually nearly impssible to remove what you've already done.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 06:52 AM UTC
Do you mean weathering or Mud, if its Mud my reciepe is polyfilla a pich of sharp sand some dry coffee grounds and earth coloured paint mix well not to dry then brush it on, leave to dry then dry brush with lighter earth shades. hope this helps.
 _GOTOTOP