_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
Smiley & tag behaviour while posting
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 05:50 AM UTC
Hi,

I've been thinking about this for quite a while and finally got around suggesting a couple of improvements.

1) Would it be possible to alter the behaviour of the tag and smiley buttons so that they appeared wherever the cursor is at the moment the button is pushed?
At the moment they always go the end, quite often (at least for me) requiring copy-pasting to the desired location. Not that big an issue, but a minor nuisance.
Getting them insert themselves according to cursor location would make the forum experience smoother.

2) Why are the tags generated by pushing the buttons filled with instructive text (like "place quote here")?
By pressing a tag button, one could assume the user to know what tags are and how they're used. No need to have instructions there, IMHO.

Suggestion: replace the text with a single space. That would not only make the tags easier to use (easier to hit between the tags with the mouse), but also eliminate the chore of deleting the instructions.
And not leaving the uninformed informed, there could be a link to a help page, perhaps a simple "what's these" text link near the buttons?

3) It would be great to have the same tag button and smiley interface when editing posts as when writing new ones.
Now it's just a simple text field, requiring a second post writing tab/window in case one doesn't remember all the smiley tags he/she would like to use.

Anyone else thinking the same things? And to those from maintenance, are these suggestions even remotely viable.

Thanks
:-H
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 06:36 AM UTC
It's always been that way as far back as I can remember..... as far as it getting changed or fixed... the New Gakllery has Jim's top priority at the moment.

I'd be nice But I've kinda learned to deal with it. there's still ssues with nwer people not understaning all the tags/coding. I can domost of them in my sleep anymore.
 _GOTOTOP