_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
G'day everyone
phantomstang
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:54 PM UTC
Just wanted to say g'day. I have been stealthily poking around Armorama for quite a while now and just oficially signed up. Basically i have such impressive work on here that i have too scared to sign up and join in. I don't consider myself a fantastic modeler(not like you chaps).
So i figured i will take the plunge and get more involved, hope i can keep pace!!!
I have many hobbies and have been modeling on and off since i was a kid. Never stopped collecting though...
Working as a vehicle mechanic with BAE Systems Australia at Puckapunyal, i see nothing but Aussie military vehicles, from Abrams to the old GS10 half ton trailers, and have taken a keen interest and desire to start building some.
My first real project is an M113 ACV. I want to put it in a Vietnam dio. So heres hoping i am in good company, because i need lot's of HELP!!!!
Anyway, hope to see everyone around on the forums. Looking foward to meeting new modelers...

Phantomstang... a.k.a...Justin.
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:19 PM UTC
Hi Justin dont be silly about not being good enough.

You will improve and you will pick up some great tips and hints!

Great to see another Nam builder! if you need any help fire away

Welcome to the site

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:26 PM UTC
G'day mate!

Good to see another Aussie here. How're things up in Pucka?

Looking forward to seeing some of your models - don't be shy Also be sure to check out the Aussie community forum, most local stuff gets posted there first

Rudi
phantomstang
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:41 PM UTC
WOW!!, didn't expect any replies so soon!

NEWFISH..... thanks for the encouragement. For some reason i have taken a real interest in Aussie Vietnam subjects. I have plenty of kits in my stash do do some dios with. Centurions, M113 APC's and a M113 FSV and have been picking up lots of Vietnam era accessories.

TAROK..... g'day matey, thanks for the support. Pucka.....LOL.....never seen a place that can get so cold in winter and damn hot in summer. But it is a cool place to work. Lots of military activity always happening. Last week, almost all week, army engineers were out on the range blowing stuff up. Had plenty of days in the workshop where the rollerdoors and roof were rattling. They blew up a couple of expired 1000lb bombs one morning....you could feel the shock wave in the workshop. Scared the living daylights out of us!!!
Good old Pucka....LOL.

Be good chaps, thanks for saying g'day.....

Phantomstang...
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 11:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Last week, almost all week, army engineers were out on the range blowing stuff up. Had plenty of days in the workshop where the rollerdoors and roof were rattling. They blew up a couple of expired 1000lb bombs one morning....you could feel the shock wave in the workshop. Scared the living daylights out of us!!

Ah, the truth is revealed.... those WEREN'T earth tremors, but Army Engineers blowing sh1t up! LOL!
phantomstang
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Last week, almost all week, army engineers were out on the range blowing stuff up. Had plenty of days in the workshop where the rollerdoors and roof were rattling. They blew up a couple of expired 1000lb bombs one morning....you could feel the shock wave in the workshop. Scared the living daylights out of us!!

Ah, the truth is revealed.... those WEREN'T earth tremors, but Army Engineers blowing sh1t up! LOL!

LOL....sometimes you have to wonder! Some of the old blokes who i work with, who have been out there forever, were telling me that when the first F-111's entered RAAF service, two aircraft came dropped a whole load of 1000 pounder together all in one hit. Apparently that registered on the richter scale down in Melbourne!!!! True story!
I live in Seymour and last week the glasses on my kitchen sink were rattling with each blast, and the explosions are about 25km's from where i live!
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 12:37 AM UTC
Nice to see your so keen on Vietnam armor,

I want to build an Aussie Cent, i've done an FSV It was my first 1/35th kit

I look foward to seeing your work post some soon buddy!

phantomstang
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hope that's not a WARM beer you signed off with......lol....
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

LOL....sometimes you have to wonder! Some of the old blokes who i work with, who have been out there forever, were telling me that when the first F-111's entered RAAF service, two aircraft came dropped a whole load of 1000 pounder together all in one hit. Apparently that registered on the richter scale down in Melbourne!!!! True story!
I live in Seymour and last week the glasses on my kitchen sink were rattling with each blast, and the explosions are about 25km's from where i live!

Nice to meet you Justin, I'm looking forward to seeing summa ya models.

Sounds pretty intense at... "Puckapunyal", where on earth did they dig that name up? The only time we hear anything from our local navy base is when they are complaining.

Cheers,
Chas
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 12:57 AM UTC
Its cold dont worry!

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 12:58 AM UTC
Puckapunyal is the area's Aboriginal name meaning "Valley of the Winds".

Chas, I thought the SAS training base was other there in WA? Or is it them the Navy boys and girls complain about? Proof yet again that not much happens in WA
phantomstang
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Nice to meet you Justin, I'm looking forward to seeing summa ya models.

Sounds pretty intense at... "Puckapunyal", where on earth did they dig that name up? The only time we hear anything from our local navy base is when they are complaining.

Cheers,
Chas

Hey youngc, great to meet you too! LOL........Puckapunyal is one heck of a name, but Tarok got it right, it aboriginal for 'valley of the winds'. And man, they weren't wrong, sometimes it seems to blow for days!....LOL

youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 01:36 AM UTC
Rudi!

Actually, it is a bit Puckapunyal where I live. Perth is either the 2rd or 3rd windiest city on earth, officially! Do a google search on that one Rudes! Near where I live, we have a booming windsurfing and kite surfing business, but yea, that's about all that happens in WA We hit the media whenever someone gets caught in the powerlines though.

Yea, I think we have an SAS base here, I remember seeing a helicopter dropping people into the water just off shore, and later hearing it was an SAS exercise.

We have quite a big little Navy base at Garden Island, where it is legal to land on one side of the island. I've done this before, the last time I went with some mates, got told off for bringing a gidgee onto the island.

News Headlines:

Three teenage boys with gidgee force naval base into high security lock down.

phantomstang
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 08:03 AM UTC
What the heck is a 'gidgee' ? I googled it and only found reference to a stinky acacia tree. Is that it or are you refering to something else?....
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 10:41 PM UTC
Mate, a gidgee is a spear used for fishing.

I did a search and there is surprisingly little. Google search "gidgee fishing spear". The wikipedia article says it is unique to Westralian language.

Cool!

Chas

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 11:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do a google search on that one Rudes!

Mate, who needs Google when you could just ask a teenager? They know everything!

Sorry, we're hijacking your Intro thread Justin... just a bit of friendly banter 'tween the boyos
phantomstang
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mate, a gidgee is a spear used for fishing.

I did a search and there is surprisingly little. Google search "gidgee fishing spear". The wikipedia article says it is unique to Westralian language.

LMAO!!! .....I had visions of you and your mates charging the base with Wattle Tree branches with pegs on your noses... .....would make for good camo i suppose!
A fishing spear, now that makes more sense.
Unique to WA language eh?....now there's a surprise.... ..just kidding!!!

Phantomstang....
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 12:14 AM UTC

That's how we roll.

martyncrowther
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,548 Posts
KitMaker Network: 91 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 04:14 AM UTC
Hi mate welcome to Armorama, watch out for tigger (Rudi)
phantomstang
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 08:00 AM UTC
Thanks for stopping in and saying g'day Martyn. I'll take your wrod for it and watch out for Rudi!....

Never thought for once you bkokes were hijacking this thread Tarok. You can all say what you like.

I am off to work, thanks godness it's Friday!

Phantomstang...
montythefirst
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 12:20 AM UTC
hi and welcome
 _GOTOTOP