_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Which digital camera to buy
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 07:11 PM UTC
I have had to put my build logs on hold as my camera is like Hitlers military in December 1945 (completely buggered). I am after recommendations for a digital camera up to £300 in price, the camera will need to take pictures of models and general pictures. I would prefer idiot proof operation while at the same time not making me look like David Bailey on a field trip. Your suggestions and why PLEASE.
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 08:43 PM UTC
For the best optics go for canon or nikon. I would get the best canon or nikon your budget will
stretch to. That is the advice given to me by my photographer mate.

he's not too shabby at the old snappy snappy game
http://www.allposters.com/-st/John-Sones-Posters_c115904_.htm
http://www.singingbowl.com.au/

I got a £100 canon three years ago and it is fine even for close work given enough light.
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,998 Posts
KitMaker Network: 257 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 10:00 PM UTC
Hi Darren

I use a Cannon EOS 350D which was recommend to me a few years back, by selecting a couple of settings on it, it does all the hard work for you. As it has been superseded by newer models it should be that little bit cheaper.

Evilbay have them in the £200 -£300 range

cheers

Keith
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 08:21 AM UTC
I have used Nikons for over 30 years (film and now digital). I also have Olympus, and Kyocera. They all are good for something different, but the Nikon has the best optics. Your photos will not be any better than the glass you shoot through. I use the Nikon D-80, and have heard good things from friends who have the D-40. My wife shoots a D-70, and they are all very easy to use. I am not sure about the price, but they are worth it. The coolpix line is also supposed to be very good. Whatever system you get, stick with it. The important word is 'system.' Get something you can expand, and use creatively and not be hamstrung in the future by the camera's limitations. Enjoy the new camera when you get it.

Matt
SIRNEIL
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 658 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i use a Cannon EOS 350D by selecting a couple of settings on it, it does all the hard work for you.

Ive got the same camera myself darren and i could not be happier with it.For family,models and holidays it is brilliant.It has all the idiot proof settings plus a lot of the more advanced modes that once you start playing with and trying different settings becomes quite rewarding when you finally get everything in focus..
neil.......
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 02:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

..........and have heard good things from friends who have the D-40.....

I have a Nikon D40 and I LOVE IT!! I've been a point and shoot guy all my life and i find this very simple to use with enough manipulation and manual over-rides in it that I can be creative as well. Works great with models, family, nature, holiday snaps (wink, wink, nudge, nudge... ) and everything else I can think of.

Here's a sample:

Can't go wrong with this one...

Bob
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 02:54 PM UTC
Thank you for the suggestions, the cameras mentioned appear to be a little out of my current financial ability. but I shall see.
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 03:19 PM UTC
My D40 was just over $500 Canadian in October last year. They should have come down even more in price by now I would have thought.

Bob
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 01:11 AM UTC
Good info here. My camera went Tango Uniform back in December and I've been too lazy to replace it. Actually the need for a camera just hasn't popped up since it broke.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 01:21 AM UTC
Hi Darren,

I can't help you other than to share this link: http://www.dpreview.com/

Lot's of camera reviews, etc - the Armorama of photography stuff

HTH

Rudi
mimeda
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 204 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 04:41 PM UTC
Hello Darren:

Here my piece of advice for what is worth.....

I will strongly recommend any of those 2 cameras depending on your budget.....

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=17480/url]

[url]http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=17630

I use the second one, the SX10 IS. Over the years i have become very familiar and comfortable with Canon cameras. I tried to switch to Nikon a few years ago, and recently bought a Nikon D90 (which is a superb camera.....but not for modeling purposes) mostly for outdoor photography when biking....

Anyhow, here my reasons to suggest those cameras:
1. Very sturdy bodies, fall resistent (proven several times while biking)

2. Approx. 10.0 Megapixels which is more than you will ever need for resolution if considering printing or enlarging your pictures (almost the same amount of MP you get on a SLR 3-4 times this price).

3. Apertures f/2.8 - f/5.7 (Very decent for a non SLR camera) and shutter speeds 15-1/3200 sec. The most remarkable thing here is that you can easily regulate both the aperture and the shutter speed to acomplish great pictures even with poor lighting and limited photography knowledge.....

4. For white balance options you have a great auto function and preset functions(Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Flash), if you are picky and want to have your own lighting settings you have a Custom option.

5. If planning to take close-ups of figures or small details (as we usually do in this hobby) the cvamera has a very decent macro function too......

Well, hopefully all this is not too confusing....in a few words...affordable cameras one step above regular point and shoot cameras & one step closer to SLR's.......

Hope it helps.....

Mirko
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 05:08 PM UTC
This is the camera I am looking at as the SLR's are just way to much for my blood.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 11:11 PM UTC
If you want to take good pics of your models, it is in my opinion important that you can:
- Ajust shuttertime/ISO
- Adjust/controll the whitebalance
- remotecontrol your camera

I have a Sony Alpha 200 - it gives me great value for the money and takes good pictures.

But then again a SLR is a bit bulky in your pocket....

Cheers and good hunting!
mimeda
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 204 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 12:02 AM UTC
Hello Darren:

Take a look to the Powershot series from Canon in the same page you're looking for the IXUS. There are several better options for about the same amount of money !!!!!!!!!!

Good luck

Mirko
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,095 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 09:19 AM UTC
Darren, I am going to STRONGLY recomend the cannon Powershot series also. I have a G5, which is a 5 megapixel (Cannon has a G8 now i think), and when it came out it was baicly one step down from a SLR. I did a lot of research before buying, and the cannons had the best functionality, color, etc than all the other point and shoots.

Also, 5 mega is PLENTY big for anything you will need, including print media (even a full page spread will only be the size of the magazine...and most pictures are only inches in size) 10 meg is overkill...unless you want to print out posters of your models.

Best part is that the G5 (and other G series) can be found on Ebay, with all the extras, for around $200-$300. You can get just the camera (at least get the power cord with it) for even less.

you can see examples of what can be done on my website www.historyinscale.com

Andy

Quoted Text

Hello Darren:

Take a look to the Powershot series from Canon in the same page you're looking for the IXUS. There are several better options for about the same amount of money !!!!!!!!!!

Good luck

Mirko

CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 09:20 AM UTC
Thanks to everyone for their help and I will look into the powershot series of cameras.
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,095 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 06:50 AM UTC
you wont be disapointed with the cannons....

when you get your camera in hand, contact me and ill give you some basics on the settings for model photograpy. On the cannon, you can manualy set most of the functions, then save the settings in a pre-select, so you can use your camera for the day-to-day stuff (or the wife can borrow it), then with a twist of the dial be ready to shoot some models again.

And while your hunting for the Powershot...try to find one with the remote. They have a wireless remote which comes in very handy...some ebay folks dont include this in the sale (got lost, or whatever)

Also dont forget to pick up a tripod somewhere! a must for good model photos.
Andy
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hello Darren, like you I spent a long time looking for the right camera I wanted, and it seems like everybody tells me the same thing about each camera they are partial to, so for me I still wanted to keep the SLR look for the least amount of money, but not drop below 12.1 Megapixels well that started to make this game of looking pretty hard for me, so if it wasn't for e-bay pointing out a complete different camera I never would of found what I was looking for.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G-1 12.1 MP Digital SLR Camera W/Blue lense then of course all of the other things to get you going. for $ 689.95 US

Then the only other camera that had the same stats was the Nikon D 90 the only problem with them most of them started at $1,000.00 US, then when I thought I seen some good prices all they were selling were the camera box, no lens at close to $800.00 and $900.00

I at first wanted a Nikon but later on figured I couldn't afford it, not when this Panasonic has just about all it has number for number minus one screen but at least $400.00 dollars cheaper now the Panasonic does have that big 3" view screen in the back that you can use to take a picture of yourself. I'm sorry for being so long about this, but this can't be said in one word or two.

Now like they all say that Nikon D 90 was supposed to be one of the best cameras made for going on a trip through the mountains, but we aren't going through the mountains are we, well some of the others might, but that is a lot of money if you don't take it traveling with you, I thought of buying the one lens for this kind of photo shooting and another that they recomend until I seen this Panasonic 500 savings right off the start I get to go looking for my filters a lot sooner., well I hope this was of some help
 _GOTOTOP