_GOTOBOTTOM
Events & Shows: North America
Shows and events in North America.
MosquitoCON 2009 this Saturday, April 4th!
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 574 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 06:44 AM UTC
Hard to believe, but MosquitoCon 2009 will be here this Saturday, April 4th. As with previous shows, we have rented both sides of the Wayne Police Athletic League (PAL) Hall just off of Route 23, about a mile or so north of Route 80 (take the 1st exit).

Why come to MosquitoCon? Well, here's just a few reasons:

- It's the largest annual model hobby event in Jersey! (Our 2-day JerseyCON show in October will be bigger, but that's not an annual thing)

- Attendees state that it's the most enjoyable model show they have ever attended!

- NJIPMS's show staff are seasoned professionals, with 18 annual shows under their belts - 2009 will be show No.19.

- MosquitoCon boasts more vendors/better vendors than most IPMS USA Regional shows! This year we will have additional table inside the model room! We've sold 90 vendor tables for this show. The vendors will be selling everything from models to resin upgrade sets, to videos, books and t-shirts! A list of vendors will be posted on our website very soon!!

- Lighting in the model room is superb!

- Number of models competing meets or exceeds the amount that show up at most IPMS USA Regionals!

- Modelers attend our show from near and far. In the past we've had attendees from Europe, South America and Asia!

- We have new and improved award plaques for 2009!! The special awards are gorgeous!

This year the show theme will be 1919-1939 Between the Wars. Head on over to the NJ/IPMS website for full details, which include a show flyer and model entry and registration forms, the latter of which we encourage show attendees to fill out ahead of time. The show flyer has directions, list of categories, list of special awards, rules and other pertinent info.

Here's a shot of last year's Best in Show - Gary Kingzett's 1/192 scratchbuilt USS San Francisco.

Hope to see many of you there!!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 12:32 PM UTC
I will be there with four friends from work,will be looking to increase stash size !!!!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 12:33 AM UTC
Just a bump......
before I leave for the show.
panzergoth
Visit this Community
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 12:55 AM UTC
I am leaving right now for the show with my Trumpeter KV-1 Ehkranami and my DML Elefant, hope they do well. I have a 2 hour drive from here in South Jersey.
youpey
Visit this Community
entire network: 528 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 05:42 AM UTC
i just got back. i only got a couple of alpine figures. it was a packed show. i have a bad cold a didnt want to battle the crowds. awesome show thow. i only wish there was more tamiya armor in 1/35 for sale. there was a ton of dragon 1/35
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 09:33 AM UTC
Just got back myself.
took around 500 photos.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 09:45 AM UTC
I met Dave + Wingnut......picked up a new DML Elefant w/zimm and had a nice time,great show !!!

There was alot of great builds there,I was fascinated by that rusted out Gato Class Sub,that was some build,not to mention that GIANT scratchbuilt tank........impressive!!!!

The junior stuff was great too,can't believe the talent of some kids.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2009 - 01:41 AM UTC
Was good to see old friends and make a few new ones.

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
entire network: 10,553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 880 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 03:56 AM UTC
Excellent show, with lots of very fine models, I'm glad I wasn't a judge, though the sunken US submarine would get my vote for Best in Show. There were some scratch-built phenomena that simply made my head hurt looking at them and imagining all the hours and imagination put into doing what most of us are happy to build from a pre-fab kit. I was glad to see the kids who entered, and hope some of them won. Strangest of all were the folks who won door prizes and didn't stick around to collect them. My ticket didn't win so I gave it to some youngster when I left. The prizes were very good, some of them bordering on superb (Iwata airbrushes, a Trumpeter Sd.Kfz.7 Prime Mover to mention two that caught my eye). Congrats to the organizers!

The vendors were generally very good with realistic prices. Saw tons of kits walking out the front door, and I picked up a 1940 T-34 and the dual Aber FAMO PE set for attractive prices.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hey you guys, I was there with my crew, I wore a light blue AMPSEast t-shirt and a huge Armorama name tag that you could read from across the room. I got to see Dave but nobody else said Hi. I'm not that scary looking, am I?
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
entire network: 10,553 Posts
KitMaker Network: 880 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not that scary looking, am I?

Matt, I was like my dog, who isn't interested in anything that moves unless it's a squirrel or a cat-- I was looking at kits!! The only thing otherwise that caught my eye was the lady sitting at one vendor tables with the lovely cleavage.

And if her husband's here lurking, I doff my cap to you, Sir!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 10:25 AM UTC
The sub:
panzergoth
Visit this Community
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2009 - 03:17 PM UTC
Mosquitocon was excellent this year! I could not believe the amount of armor on the tables and most done to a very high degree of quality. I was kind of surprised that none of the vendors were carrying any new Tamiya stuff except for Marvin Banka with his 1/48 Tamiya stuff for 20.00 per kit. From what I was told there were 135 entrants to the show with 500 models on display. The guys that put on the show did a great job , thank you! Due to my current financial illness known as " muhfundsalow" I only bought one kit, the Tamiya 1/48 Marder, oh and I bought a soviet tank commander from Taesung Harms from Alpine. This year I opted to not partake of the gourmet cuisine served at Cafe Tomaine and instead enjoyed a nice lunch and a few Gin and Tonics at Grasshoppers with George Eyerman, Mike Salzano, Tony Fradkin, Steve Zaloga, Matt Pritchett, Frank Di Sisto , and another gentleman whose name escapes me. All in all a good day with some great talent to be enjoyed. I was also able to finally put some faces to the names I see here on Armorama. Matt Toms I remember speaking to but I forgot what you entered. [sorry] Now I am getting geared up for AMPS
 _GOTOTOP