_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Newbie at Diorama's.. Need Some Help
19Delta
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 101 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 02:54 PM UTC
Hey! My name is James, and Ive been building models, mainly 1/48th scale planes and 1/35th tanks since I was 6. Oh and by the way I'm 18 years old.
Im currenty working on a M2 Bradley IFV which I converted to a ACAV. Its all airbrushed, decal's are on, and weathered it alittle bit. I would like to do a diorama for it but I have no idea how to. After finding this site, and seeing the experts at doing his I thought I might as well ask for help here. Im wanting to do a forest/hill type thing, since the M2 is in a forest/mossy camo paint job. Any Advice Would Be Muchly Appreciated !!
Thanks,
James
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 03:14 PM UTC
Welcome to ArmoramA! The first step is to figure what size base you would like to set your diorama on. Next you need to decide what type scene you would like to build. After you know what you would like to build and how big it should be, then you assemble your needed supplies and reference. There are many good articles here on how to do ground work and how to make trees and water. Once you know exactly what you want to build, everybody here will help with your first attempt at a diorama. The only thing you need to remember here is don't be afraid to ask.

Patrick
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 06:41 PM UTC
James,

first things first : Welcome to Armorama...modelers heaven on earth. I hope you enjoy it here.

About making a diorama, Patrick said it all. Once you have the idea on what to build, you can add the questions on how to build it. We'll be most happy to help you with eacht individual question.

Tip : Make a layout that is not too big and not too complex the first time. Make a Brandley on a excercise grounds... a sandy road, a little bush, some grass and some barbed wire fences.... a little dio, with enough aspects to practise on....

Good Luck and let us know your specific questions !
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 11:38 PM UTC
Welcome aboard 19Delta. I agree with Eagle. Start with something simple. You may want to take a tablet and your Bradley and layout your diorama on paper to decide how big your base will be, where the roads or anything else will go. Move the model around on the paper and when you have it where you want, trace around the bottom of it. Usually a fairly decent starting point.

Shaun
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 11:58 PM UTC
19Delta, someone said something about a picture and 1K words. Anywho, like this...

With vehicle, to get things layed out...

Basic layout...

Hope this helps...
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 12:03 AM UTC
These guys are absolutely right - plan it out. Do it on paper first. I even go to the extent of cutting out stuff the size I want it to be to get fit right.

Not sure what else you need to know.
You'll need some filler (small electronic packaging styrofoam) for the build up of the hill, celluclay (paper mache) for the ground work, something for grass (cut string, old paint brush bristles, static grass, lichen, ....), trees and bushes (wire twist, old branch/root...)

Do a search in the forums on each of these and you'll get huge amounts of results.

Even as an 'experienced' diorama builder I find myself going back and re-reading all the Digital Diamonds here in the features- they are a wealth of information.
Check out the tree twisted wire tree article.
Check out Fausts - Distraction article that's very good.
If you want some images of trees and in progress of a diorama you can see some in my album at MSN
http://groups.msn.com/armorama/sloddersstuff.msnw?Page=1
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 12:35 AM UTC
Ola 19delta

Well the guys here already gave you a firm push in the back.. Good tips and Good URLS
this is the link to general failures feature about how to make trees with twisted wire.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/135
and this is my step by step article about how I made the dio distraction
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/142

These are the links that Scott (Slodder) was referring to.

Drawing ideas on paper is always good not only to get an idea of the needed size but this will help you also visualising the final composition. Another advice tat I can give you is start with something simple like what danny mentioned a tank on a trainingsground or in a small field with some barbed wire or awooden fence. That will give you a nice first dio and it will be a booster for you to make the next one even better. At the time you hav reached the buildingstage of dio#2 you have learned some extra from your first dio and what you have read on the internet so you can experiment with new techniques. at this way the modeling is one big and fun learning process.

_GOTOTOP