TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
best wwII and modern war movies?
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,024 Posts
KitMaker Network: 270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 02:27 PM UTC
hi everyone, since i broke my wrist i need to rent some dvds to kill sometime so does anyone have any preferences on good wwII an modern movies? TIA calvin ng
panzergoth
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 03:36 PM UTC
Hi Calvin, sorry to hear about your wrist. I would like to suggest a couple of my favorite WW2 movies. I think Enemy At The Gates is an excellent movie with Jude Law, Joseph Fiennes, and Ed Harris. If you didnt know it is about snipers in Stalingrad and is barely based on the book ,but a very good movie with some good actors. Another favorite is the remake of "Stalingrad" all in German with English subtitles and it came out in 1996. Good and a very graphic depiction of the debacle which was Stalingrad. Of course there is Saving private Ryan, Bridge at Remagen, Bridge to far, and The longest Day, a personal favorite. Being the WW2 buff that I am I really dont know any modern ones. A very interesting one about war/ politics is The Manchurian Candidate. I like the remake with Denzel Washington more than the original. I think I "got it" more. Another classic is the Jason Bourne Trilogy with Matt Damon, I watch them all back to back over Christmas vacation and it sounds like you may have the time now that you are laid up. Hope you like the suggestions.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 09:50 AM UTC
Hi Calvin, I have to agree with panzergoth, ,all are good movies, I have to get that Stalingrad one, havent seen that yet... Dont forget the POPCORN///Reguards, milvehfan
jeepkid019
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 50 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hi, My favorite is Behind Enemy lines and I like the Hogans heros show. Tryto find some of them, very funny show.... See ya, jeepkid019
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 01:36 PM UTC
Blackhawk Down,
Saving Private Ryan,
We were Soldiers
Full Metal Jacket,
A bridge too Far,
Battle of Britain
Platoon
Courage Under Fire
bart21
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
entire network: 40 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 02:29 AM UTC
No contest.....Das Boot! Not "The Boat" but the original in German with English subtitles.
Just my two cents.
chicane
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 201 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 04:01 AM UTC
hi heres a few war films you might like SAINTS AND SOLDIERS a small budget film but very good set during the battle of the buldge. another film called BROTHERHOOD set during the korean war the battle scenes are comparable to saving private ryan excellent film its also subtitled.Also a film called WHEN TRUMPETS FADE set during the battle for the hurtgenforest the forest was called the deathfactory by american soldiers. and a oldie but a great film CROSS OF IRON with james coburn as steiner set on the eastern front . hope those are of some use best of luck with your recovery
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 452 Posts
KitMaker Network: 143 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 04:35 AM UTC
All of these are great suggestions, especially Saints and Soldiers. I'll add the HBO mini-series "Band of Brothers" and Kelly's Heros - two of my favorites. Hope your wrist mends quickly!
SnakeEye
Visit this Community
Rodopi, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 310 Posts
KitMaker Network: 102 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 10:58 AM UTC
The 9th Company. A Russian film about Afghan war.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XPLlW8c1iE&feature=related
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 03:53 PM UTC
Calvin: anything with John Wayne, if thats not your taste then Rules of Engagement is a reall good modern film.
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 - 04:23 PM UTC
Hi milvehfan if you've managed to get Stalingrad on DVD then i can tell you now you'll not be disappointed the film is awesome i got it on DVD over here and was outraged because for some unknown reason the distributors over here decided to release it with a dubbed english audio instead of the original german audio with subtitles that means i've got to fork out for the US version which from what i gather is in it's original german audio format