_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Pictures online
ctmi911
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 151 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2003 - 03:32 PM UTC
Hey everyone,

I was not sure where to post this, so I hope that the "General" space works okay.

Does anyone know if it is (for lack of a better term) "not okay" to have pictures that I have downloaded off various websites on my publicly available "Yahoo Pictures" site. What I mean is, is it any kind of copyright infringement or anything. I have almost a thousand current military and Operation Iraqi Freedom pictures stored on my computers, and have a few of them that I thought might be useful to others on my Yahoo site. Do you think that it is okay?

Hopefully someone can put me on the straight and narrow!

Thanks in advance,
Chris
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2003 - 04:47 PM UTC
I think you are OK unless you try to sell them. Just to be safe if you should put a note on each one saying where you got it.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2003 - 08:26 PM UTC
I think that it actually depends on the laws of the country whre the site is hosted, so I suggest to get aware of the existing regulations. In Italy for instance the rules are very strict and you can only publish the pics who are public domain or the ones of which you can demonstrate to have the publishing rights...
When I use to own a Financial Info Web site, I had some advice from attorneys that set up a series of disclaimers about the matter, and I'm using some of those on my hobby site at present. If you're interested in drop me a line and I'll check if I have them available in English too...
Ciao
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2003 - 08:44 PM UTC
I see alot of sites with a disclaimer, which says that the fotos are for reference only and non-profit related hobbies. If somebody who owns the copyright to any of the photos wants them removed, its only a matter of contacting you and they will be removed immediately.

It is a good idea though when you save pictures to credit the source where you found them though, at least then they they get the credit for their work. I dont think major companies or newspapers will try to sue over a copyright issue.... you will probably get a letter of warning or something, but its not small fish like you that they are out after...... its more likely to stop other media using their work. At the end of the day.... why sue?..... you cant take feathers of a frog!
 _GOTOTOP