Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
PC goes too far
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:04 PM UTC
Politically correct meals? "Un-PC" Timtams banned from council meeting? This PC thing is just going too far!

Tim Tams banned by Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore at council events
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 01:22 PM UTC
Nice to see you have your home grown brand of nut cases taking office down there too!.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 01:50 PM UTC
Hmmm, you'd think they didn't have more important things to sort out like the recent spate of biker wars or the poor economy, but nah, they focus on council event menus - specifically which biscuits may or may not be eaten...
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 02:48 PM UTC
Child labor or not----- they'll pry my chocolate Easter Bunny from my cold dead hand......
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 03:08 PM UTC
I feel the same way about Tim Tams (or any chocolate type product for that matter)
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 03:23 PM UTC
Ahh Jeeezz! Is she from Berkely by any chance? Just force feed her some malted milk balls and a quart of whole fresh milk and she'll be OK. I guarantee it!
Rick
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 04:47 AM UTC
So, what, you're saying that you don’t care whether something is made with child labour? I can see that they might have made a mistake in mis-identifying these Tam-Tam things as a problem, but assuming for now that they had spotted something that they knew was being made with child labour, would you still be dismissing the decision as politically correct? We’re not talking about thirteen-year-olds with a paper round here, we’re talking about the under-10s being exploited mercilessly. Can you really be so callous? And why assume that because the council has decided one small thing, that means they’ve paid no attention to anything else? I work in government and trust me, we are capable of thinking about more than one thing at once.

I notice the news report casually dropped the term “politically correct” into the text as though it were a fact, when it’s actually their value judgement. My experience of the media is that they do this as a dog-whistle - they want to elicit a gut response from the reader, and close down thought. For goodness sake, let’s not do the same thing.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 08:50 AM UTC
Sorry Sean, but I really don't give a damn about the labor laws or politics of other countries. I really don't care if kids or granny make my chocolate easter bunnies, if you do, that's fine by me. I'll still eat my chocolate Easter bunnies and EGGS. Whether Kids, granny or one eye jacks are making them does not matter to me in the least, nor what they get paid to do it. I also eat red meat, shoot animals, and kill fish and thank God every day for the US Marine Corps.
SIRNEIL
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 658 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I work in government and trust me, we are capable of thinking about more than one thing at once.

So you'r the one to blame for the mess this once great country is in..........................
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So, what, you're saying that you don’t care whether something is made with child labour? I can see that they might have made a mistake in mis-identifying these Tam-Tam things as a problem, but assuming for now that they had spotted something that they knew was being made with child labour, would you still be dismissing the decision as politically correct? We’re not talking about thirteen-year-olds with a paper round here, we’re talking about the under-10s being exploited mercilessly. Can you really be so callous? And why assume that because the council has decided one small thing, that means they’ve paid no attention to anything else? I work in government and trust me, we are capable of thinking about more than one thing at once.

I notice the news report casually dropped the term “politically correct” into the text as though it were a fact, when it’s actually their value judgement. My experience of the media is that they do this as a dog-whistle - they want to elicit a gut response from the reader, and close down thought. For goodness sake, let’s not do the same thing.

Lighten up Sean.
rotATOR
Visit this Community
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 11:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry Sean, but I really don't give a damn about the labor laws or politics of other countries. I really don't care if kids or granny make my chocolate easter bunnies, if you do, that's fine by me. I'll still eat my chocolate Easter bunnies and EGGS. Whether Kids, granny or one eye jacks are making them does not matter to me in the least, nor what they get paid to do it. I also eat red meat, shoot animals, and kill fish and thank God every day for the US Marine Corps

wow..you really are a grumpy old man
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 12:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sorry Sean, but I really don't give a damn about the labor laws or politics of other countries. I really don't care if kids or granny make my chocolate easter bunnies, if you do, that's fine by me. I'll still eat my chocolate Easter bunnies and EGGS. Whether Kids, granny or one eye jacks are making them does not matter to me in the least, nor what they get paid to do it. I also eat red meat, shoot animals, and kill fish and thank God every day for the US Marine Corps

LOL!!
im a grumpy young man!!

in this day and age in most MOST western countries forced child labour is long gone.
lets stop moaning about the countries that have reduced or stopped it, and moan about the countries that exclusivey use child labour.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And I have his back because I'll share my choco-malted bunnies and eggs with him. I don't meddle in my neighbors household operations and don't think nations should either. Trade is trade. Self destructive labor policies or whatever will sort themselves out. What if the king of Venezuela said your Queen had to go because she didn't contribute anything meaningful to your nations benefit?(Sean)
Rick
Red4
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry Sean, but I really don't give a damn about the labor laws or politics of other countries. I really don't care if kids or granny make my chocolate easter bunnies, if you do, that's fine by me. I'll still eat my chocolate Easter bunnies and EGGS. Whether Kids, granny or one eye jacks are making them does not matter to me in the least, nor what they get paid to do it. I also eat red meat, shoot animals, and kill fish and thank God every day for the US Marine Corps.

heh heh. Well said Dave. "Q"
kursk
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 214 Posts
KitMaker Network: 110 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I work in government and trust me, we are capable of thinking about more than one thing at once.

So you'r the one to blame for the mess this once great country is in..........................

i second that i ll buy you a drink or two before the doctors ruin that pleasure