_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
I always wanted to start my model company
chocobananas
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 08:26 AM UTC
That's was my Idea when I came out form college, but then I found out the massive amount of money you need to start a model kit company. so I became a designer and comic book artist. The idea it's been in my mind for some time now, and I decided to start with the artbox that's the part I can do. I hope you like them.

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 08:30 AM UTC
Here are the links that work

Something strange with a -h in the link vs. the actual file name at the s 1600 area of the name.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 08:35 AM UTC
Now that I see them you will need to be careful with copyright infringement issues with the logo you selected - it's Very similar to Tamiya's. They may take issue with it.
The artwork is very cool.
chocobananas
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 08:39 AM UTC
I'm not actually building any company or anything I is just I was wondering how will these images look in the context of a model kit. I WOULD NEVER RIP OFF TAMIYA LOGO or layout design IF THIS WAS FOR REAL.
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 369 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 09:56 AM UTC
Good art work, Francisco. I like the concept of the "parody" of using the model aircraft framework for a piece of art. These would also be great big paintings. A show of several of these in different countries, different or imaginary wars would be fantastic, artistically. You could call the show, "Out of the Box."
Keep illustrating. You're good at it,
Matt

slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:01 AM UTC
Not suggesting you would rip off Tamiya. I just wanted to bring it to your attention more than anything else.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:47 AM UTC
sick artwork.
re-mortgage the home and start the company. I'd love to get my hands on one of those.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 01:18 PM UTC
Very nice artwork. I agree with mvfrog. This would make an interesting gallery show.

CombatKrieg
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 10:55 PM UTC
Actually there are other companys that have their logos almost similar to Tamiya's...

Take Audley for example...
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 87 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 11:43 PM UTC
I say go for the poster market. I'd love the ME806 as a poster / print / whatever hanging on my model room wall.

Cheers
S.
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 12:49 AM UTC
Really cool art work !!! I would love that hanging on wall in the hobby room . Don't worry about the copy right law , your logo is different and there is other manufactures which are close to what Tamiya is . And since it is art it's an expression . So keep them coming .

pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 03:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not suggesting you would rip off Tamiya. I just wanted to bring it to your attention more than anything else.

He's right - by putting your work on the web I'm afraid you've already published it and taken on the risk. Having said that, I doubt your logo is anything like close enough to Tamiya's for them to take exception. But you may want to consider the overall design - the choice of typography and layout are also reminiscent of the Big T, and if you add them all together, it increases the risk of problems. The fact that you're not producing actual boxes with actual models in them should help you, but some companies can be nearly as protective of their packaging as they are of their product, so I'd still be a bit careful if I were you.

For years I've had a daft day-dream of opening my own model company too. I have a logo you can use for free if you're interested ...
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 1,086 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 03:51 AM UTC
WOW...very nice box art. thanks for sharing. ed
keroopie67
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 54 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 08:58 AM UTC
Wow, I think this artwork looks really realistic, and captures "action" really well. I suppose it would be good to shop this type of artwork off to publishers for book covers (sci-fi, alternative war histories and the like) but then you have probably already done that.
You never know, some companies will produce kits based on what you produce "on paper" - just look at the models they make from video games/comics/movies. There are some people which do limited resin runs of things like this all the time - just make sure you get your share of the profits through copyright etc.. I think DML figures are sketched out, and then rendered in 3-D models (autocad?), produced and sold to us - so one day, you may get your ideas produced as model kits afterall!
Very impressive - keep them coming!

Eric
chocobananas
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 09:08 AM UTC
Thanks for the positive Feedback.
I have a couple more paintings in the oven I'll post them shortly.
Thanks again your comments are very encouraging!
chukw1
Visit this Community
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 09:13 AM UTC
The fit on these kits is always terrible- and the decals suck!

Just kidding! ChocoB and I sit next to one another at work- and it's always a treat to see what he'srawing and painting next!
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 11:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

by keroopie67
Wow, I think this artwork looks really realistic, and captures "action" really well. I suppose it would be good to shop this type of artwork off to publishers for book covers (sci-fi, alternative war histories and the like) but then you have probably already done that.
You never know, some companies will produce kits based on what you produce "on paper" - just look at the models they make from video games/comics/movies. There are some people which do limited resin runs of things like this all the time - just make sure you get your share of the profits through copyright etc.. I think DML figures are sketched out, and then rendered in 3-D models (autocad?), produced and sold to us - so one day, you may get your ideas produced as model kits afterall!
Very impressive - keep them coming!

Eric

Very good point and outlook

endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
entire network: 2,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 203 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:28 PM UTC
I've lost joint part of right front leg of spider tank... Where can I order a replacement sprue?

These drawings are great!
keroopie67 is right - maybe you could contact some S/F focused companies and apply as a designer? It would be great to have this kind of what-ifs in the market.

Andrzej
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 02:41 AM UTC
Great concepts, looks like you're having lots of fun with this. Your artistic talents are very good and I'd buy this kits if they were actually produced.

Watch for news from Trumpeter soon.....LOL

cheers and thanks for posting these,

Bob
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 530 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 06:36 AM UTC

Incredible artwork, you should really consider offering items like these in poster form, I'm sure that you'd do very well with them. Keep up the great work. By the way, don't give up on the model company idea either, resin casting can be fairly exciting.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 10:35 PM UTC
Francisco, check your e-mail inbox. You're about to hear something to your advantage..
05Sultan
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 12:01 AM UTC
Awesome stuff, Francisco! Maybe Staff Jim would like to tinker with an idea of "Kitmaker Scale Industries" or something along those lines. The talent pool is there(here). The possibilities endless..............
Rick
 _GOTOTOP