_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
New kit organizer idea
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:20 AM UTC
I was poking around in Home Despot yesterday and came across the Closetmaid closet organizer unit T60
31 in high
12 1/8 wide
11 5/8 deep
in white for $12.99

Looking at the built up unit it looked to be as wide as a 1/35th armor box
I thought what the hey and picked up 2

They are exactly the size of a kit box and 3 boxes fit in each section.
It's perfect for those in-progress builds where the kit will no longer fit into a closed box.

I misjudged the height of the ceiling , both wouldnt fit where I thought they would.

So with a little 1x12 lumber I added an additional three shelves making a pretty useful desktop paint stack stash.

For what it's worth, a pretty good weekend organizing the bench.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 11:50 AM UTC
Sounds like a Great find, maybe just what I am in need of. Do you have a pic of the finished unit. I am going to check it out. I need to organize my work bench area. Thanks for shareing this. milvehfan
panzergoth
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 04:03 PM UTC
Hey, right around the same area in H.Depot that they have the shelving units they have [ where I shop] a U shaped channel that is about 1- 1 1/4 deep and a little shorter in the front with a flat bottom. These things are white and about 8 ft. long and cost about 2.00 and are made out of plastic. As it turns out they will fit the Vallejo paint bottles in them exactly and are actually a little snug so the bottles dont slide or tip over. I cut them exactly in half so I have one mounted on the wall behind my workbench and mounted the other one to the outside counter edge of my workbench so that if anything rolls off it gets caught in the little trough that has been made. I also use it to store small parts temporarily until needed so they dont get lost or damaged on my workbench if I put something down that I am working on.
 _GOTOTOP