_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
M113...
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 04:05 PM UTC
Iam looking for a crew for my M113. The M113 is going to be taking part in a rescue mission. I need one M60 gunner for the left 60. A 50cal gunner for the front. And the other 2 guys I can come up with. Iam pretty sure there arent any kits of what I want, so anyone know what kit(s) I could use to get these?

Also, which M113 is the most accurate, the Academy one with the recoiless rifle? And I was thinking about getting the Legend M113 accessory set. Any comments on that one?

thanks,
Mike
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 11:29 PM UTC
Academy M113 is more accurate than the Tamiya M113ACAV. By figures, I'm assuming you need Vietnam era figures? Tamiya's ACAV did come with 3 figures that were much better than the original M113 kit crew. I do not believe they were manning the guns though.

There is a release of the M88A1 that comes with a resin TC. I just traded for one from a guy from the UK. He's manning the .50 and looks pretty good. The BDUs are close enough to fake jungle fatigues and the head is separate so you could find a Vietnam era CVC helmeted head for him. Try finding one of those.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 11:35 PM UTC
If I remember right, the figures for the Tamiya ACAV are two guys on the ground running and a guy in the cupola with the fifty. I think he is supposed to be firing the the mg but I couldn't even get him to fit in the hatch right. He would probably be a decent start but I think you'll need to do some carving. The DML SEAL Team Boat came with a guy leaning over and firing a 60 that would probably work for your 60 gunner. You may also want to check out the Tamiya Pibber. That comes with figures firing the weapons, 60, 50, etc.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 11:35 PM UTC
Mike, why don't you think about an Ozzie Vietnam 113? I've noticed that there are loads of bits and pieces available from down-under.. Take a look at the PMMS site, there are loads of really interesting links...Just a thought....Jim
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2003 - 01:55 AM UTC
Mike,

Try DML's Khe San Marines, there's a standing, firing M60 gunner there, even if you need to do a bit of surgery to get the uniform right, it's a good pose and should be cheap.

You can probably just swipe the head and firing arms and use a generic DML/Tamiya torso...

The helo crew has a seated/semi-reclining guy firing an M60 from the waist hip if you want him out of the hatch and on the back deck.

Academy's 113's are the best, but drop me a line if you want pics of the ramp pulley/fuel filter. It's a very obvious assembly right inside the ramp opening and not in ANY 113 kit.

Mike
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2003 - 10:30 AM UTC
I've got several sets of Tamiya M113 and M113 ACAV figures you can have. I've got no need for them.

Paul
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2003 - 11:27 AM UTC
Thanks for all the replies guys. I actually have the commander of the Tamiya M113, forgot I had him. And from the box art it looked as if he was commanding the 2 marines running.

I have the DML set with the M60 gunner. I have one question abuot the M-60 gunners. Did the stand on top of the benches inside the M113. or on the floor. Also have a set of the door gunners. mixed them up a bit but might be able to use them.

keenan, I got my guy to fit. Just twisted him around and it worked.

I'll PM you with my address about the figures Paul, thanks!

Mike

Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 616 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2003 - 12:12 PM UTC
Mike,

There were three ways that we got high enough in the cargo hatch to operate the M-60s. We either stood on the benches, used stacked ammo crates or other crates placed on the floor or if we could get a thick piece of plywood we would lay it across the seats (From side to side) and stand on that. Another way that was used, but not by me was to stack sand bags on the floor to the same height as the seats. This served two purposes. It made a platform to stand on and also provided protection agains AT mines.
As far as which kit, I prefer the Academy kit.

Dave
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 03:51 AM UTC
Ok thanks Dave, I got the figure to stand on the floor of the M113 and be able to reach the M-60. But I'd like to use your idea use the wood, or sandbags.

thanks,
Mike
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 02:23 PM UTC
PhantomMajor, do you think you could send me a pic. of the guys firing from inside the M113?

BTW, I have the torso of a M-60 gunner. Just have to find a good pair of legs for him. Have a bunch of pairs, but If I cover the floor with sandbags he wont be able to fit.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP