_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Holding tiny parts while building
BillyBishop
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 08:19 PM UTC
I have started travelling around my house building when, I can where I can.

I travel with a mini table that is portable and can rest on my knees while I watch/listen to the television with the '"boss". She isn't toally keen on the idea but I try to keep everything clean/tidy and spillage to a minimum. When I have tiny parts that I will be using almost immediatley (I have to keep them from landing on the floor) so I have started to use masking tape (rolled back on itself )and stick the parts to it and the tape to the table top.

Anyone have any better ideas? I am trying to keep the amount of items on my portable table top to a minimum...

MSW
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 - 09:18 PM UTC
How about taking a baby food jar lid (or something similiar) and mounting it upside down in one of the corners of your table. This way it won't move around and can hold small parts too.
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 12:17 AM UTC
Good idea Tin Can - a little blue poster putty (Blue Tac) would stick it on nicely. If a jar lid is too shallow, I'd suggest a cut down Yogurt container, or one of the little cups the icing comes in for Pilsbury Cinamon Rolls -- depending on your preference in the refrigerated section.

For a real no spill/small parts container, check out pill dispensors. They typically have 7 or 14 little containers with snap-shut lids - so you can open only the lid you want and dump the part into your hand, no fumbly finger tips or slippery tweezers!

-Paul
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 02:41 AM UTC
I know the situation - I too have taken up some mobile assembly. I usually take the bottom portion of the box of the kit I a working on and use it as my 'container' for cut/trimmed/preped pieces.
Another container for small parts is an Altoids tin. They are sturdy, the lid really snaps closed and you get some enjoyment out of emptying them. I usually label them with masking tape as to what they contain.
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 01, 2002 - 01:43 PM UTC
I just take a little dixie cup type thing, fill it up with all the parts, and set it to the side.
 _GOTOTOP