The End of Tamiya/Con?
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 09:33 AM UTC
Tamiya/Con 2009 Postponed

Tamiya America's most prestigious model contest, Tamiya Con has been postponed until further notice. We share everyone's disappointment as Tamiya/Con is an event we hold very dear to our heart. If plans are made in the future, dates will be provided. Stay tuned to our website for updates regarding Tamiya/Con will be announced here.

Make sure to check back soon for updates and further announcements.

Really doesn't look good boys and girls that TamiyaCon is coming back any time soon. Rats!

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 - 05:41 PM UTC
Frank,
When/Where had they been planning on having it? This is the first I heard that it was even being planned. I am sad to hear though it's being put off (again). Losing their US HQ facility has obviously made it hard to put on an event like this.

I still feel we need a West coast regional show (annual) that could connect modelers on the West coast better. The east and central regions of the US have plenty of larger shows that do this. We have SCAHMS and local IPMS shows.

If only we had the funds to put on 'Armorama-Con'.

Jim
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If only we had the funds to put on 'Armorama-Con'.

he-he...Jim, I like the way you think ! But something as big as Armorama-Con would definately have to be Global in nature..

Cheers,
Mike
GSPatton
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 04:16 AM UTC
Jim,
In prior years Tamiya has run their show in April. So, I have been corresponding with the Customer Service folks for some time on the status of Tamiya/Con. Although I have never won an award or a trip to Japan it was a fantastic event allowing the best modelers to show off and allowing us to pick up a Tamiya kit or two or three at show prices. Like you said with them leaving their old HQ and now the 2nd year of postponements does not look good for the show ever coming back.
Spades
Visit this Community
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 08:33 AM UTC
As much as I loved to connect with friends and look at everyones new work. It saddens me to accept the fact, that TamiyaCon is gone. With no headquarters here any longer, the state of the economy and so forth. I truly believe it will not come back anytime in the near future. Since its disapperance, its the same, go to our website, look for updates, yadda yadda yadda.

I will think of TamiyaCon when I hear its coming back. Until than, I have other shows to go to, other kits to build.
 _GOTOTOP