History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
When the Italians invaded Yugoslavia...
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 08:32 AM UTC
How did the various peoples react? Did anyone (e. g. the Croatians) welcome them? And how did feelings change over time? I always wondered, knowing how divided Yugoslavia always had been.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 10:28 PM UTC
Wasn't it the Germans that invaded? But the Italians did form a large part of the occupying forces later on.

David
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 11:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wasn't it the Germans that invaded? But the Italians did form a large part of the occupying forces later on.

David

If I read correctly, they were both at it. Ever heard the term "Mussolini started a war which Hitler had to finish"? Probably an oversimplification of what actually happened though.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:19 PM UTC
Mussolini's embarrassing war was the invasion of Greece rather than Yugoslavia. IIRC the Germans descended on Yugoslavia when a friendly regime was overthrown by one more aligned to the western allies.

Anyway the partisan war followed the lines of what we have seen in Iraq recently with the various factions fighting each other along ideological and ethnic lines just as much as they fought the German and Italian occupiers. There were various 'collaborators' with the occupiers like the Croatian Ustase and Serbian Chetniks - though it could be said that they weren't entirely collaborationists but pursuing their own national/ethnic interests and exploiting the German's war against Tito. And also pretty much like the various ethnic groups fought each other in the Soviet Union after Barbarossa.

The whole issue of how we ended up supporting Tito is pretty murky too - specially when you consider that the Communist partisans didn't start forming until AFTER the Germans had invaded Russia......

David
Masina
Visit this Community
Serbia & Montenegro
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 02:50 AM UTC
I know it is a very old topic, but it's never too late for history.

I have to say I'm surprised the number of topic about the Yugoslavia.

Partisans and the Chetniks were the Liberation Army of Yugoslavia. Chetniks were formed under the order of King and fought mostly against the Ustasha. Ustashas collaborated with the Germans and are responsible for many of brutality that even the Germans were surprised by. Partisans and the Chetniks fought against each other, but they were still fighting for the liberated Yugoslavia. My grandfather ("Bosnian Serb" which once did not matter) went to the Partisans, because he supported Communism. and many Croats did not want communism and joined the Chetniks. So Chetniks were not only Serbs and Partisans were not only Croats. and the Chetniks in the recent history have nothing to do with the Chetniks from the Second World War.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mussolini's embarrassing war was the invasion of Greece rather than Yugoslavia. IIRC the Germans descended on Yugoslavia when a friendly regime was overthrown by one more aligned to the western allies.

Anyway the partisan war followed the lines of what we have seen in Iraq recently with the various factions fighting each other along ideological and ethnic lines just as much as they fought the German and Italian occupiers. There were various 'collaborators' with the occupiers like the Croatian Ustase and Serbian Chetniks - though it could be said that they weren't entirely collaborationists but pursuing their own national/ethnic interests and exploiting the German's war against Tito. And also pretty much like the various ethnic groups fought each other in the Soviet Union after Barbarossa.

The whole issue of how we ended up supporting Tito is pretty murky too - specially when you consider that the Communist partisans didn't start forming until AFTER the Germans had invaded Russia......

David

When it came to Yugoslavia, It was always hard to figure out the players without a score card. You have ethnoreligious divisions coupled with political factions making it then as now, a very complex situation, resolved more or less by becoming separate states.

The Ustache thought that Hitler was a pretty good guy, albeit a bit restrained for their tastes. They'd do things that would make the SS blanch.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 12:34 PM UTC
May just be Hollywood liberties, but I thought that the Chetniks were rivals of the Allied forces?
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 06:36 PM UTC
How did the people react?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foibe_massacres

agramer1966
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 16 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 12:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know it is a very old topic, but it's never too late for history.

I have to say I'm surprised the number of topic about the Yugoslavia.

Partisans and the Chetniks were the Liberation Army of Yugoslavia. Chetniks were formed under the order of King and fought mostly against the Ustasha. Ustashas collaborated with the Germans and are responsible for many of brutality that even the Germans were surprised by. Partisans and the Chetniks fought against each other, but they were still fighting for the liberated Yugoslavia. My grandfather ("Bosnian Serb" which once did not matter) went to the Partisans, because he supported Communism. and many Croats did not want communism and joined the Chetniks. So Chetniks were not only Serbs and Partisans were not only Croats. and the Chetniks in the recent history have nothing to do with the Chetniks from the Second World War.

I haven't read so much incorrect facts in one posts for ages. This post has same amount of respect for real historical facts as Monty Python's movies, but at least they are funny.
telsono
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 76 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 09:28 AM UTC
As part of "Operation 25" Italian units attacked and occupied the Dalmatian coast of Yugoslavia. Some using Albania as a base of attacka nd others from that north in the area of Trieste. I believe the Littorio Armored Division was one of those used in that operation.
Other portions of the Italian Army were in support of "Operation Marita" against Greece. So you had the Italians were fighting alongside the Germans in offenses against both the Italians and Yugoslavs. The Dalmatian coast has been a point of conflict with the Italains and Slavs for many centuries, The Venetians occupied a good portion of the coast for a long time prior to the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Campaigns against the the Turkish occupiers as well by those like Alphonso of Aragon. I am not sure of the relationship betweeen these two peoples, but our word "slave" comes from the the use of the Slavic people in this manner by the Romans.