_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Photo etching adhesives
Switzersland
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 196 Posts
KitMaker Network: 105 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 03:22 AM UTC
Hooah!, I' jumping into Photo etching and would like some reccomendations please
on adhesives that you have used and that've work well.

Thanks and have a great day and a better weekend

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,847 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 04:02 AM UTC
John,

I've only gotten back into the hobby about a year and a half ago and was shocked by all this PE stuff. Anyway, I build mostly 1/72 scale and you can imagine the difficulties that the size causes. I tried using "regular" Krazy Glue but found it dries too fast and caused all kinds of positioning problems. The fellow at my local hobby shop recommended a series called Insta-Cure+. It comes in a number of different formulations with different drying times. In my case the 5-15 second gap filling seems to work the best. It gives you that little more working/positioning time. Here's a picture of what it looks like.

Cheers,
Jan
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 04:27 AM UTC
John, look no further than a member of our site. The best adhesive for PE that I've used is Gator Glue, developed and sold by Ken Loup. Here's a link to his website: GatorsMask.com
It's an adhesive that grips as you set the PE down, gives you time to set (and re-set, in my case ) and dries clear. Takes paint well, too.

You'll probably hear a few more recommendations for it, both here and other sites - it's that good.

Cheers,
Mike
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 04:29 AM UTC
The poster above was telling you about the same stuff as I was typing this...

Gator Glue, made by one of the guys over in the shipwrights forum, is fantastic stuff!

It has changed my modeling as much as a folding/bending tool, the switch to liquid glue from tube stuff, Mr Surfacer.. I could go on, you know what I am saying.

It is water based and works VERY well for joining the etched pieces to the plastic of the kit and for sandwich constructions ( flat face to flat face) etch constructs.

Like Superglue/CA it is not not great for edge to edge or box constructions, but soldering works best with those.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP