_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Getting an Air Compressor in Victoria
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 12:19 AM UTC
hi guys,

can anyone give me some ideas on where's a good place to get a simple air compressor in Victoria? Looking for the standard 15-20 PSI kind.

Should I go to Bunnings?
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
entire network: 66 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:27 AM UTC
I wouldn't go to bunnings!!!

I'm not in Vic so I can't tell you where to look but I can offer some advice on a compressor. Look for a sparmax. They are very cost effective and very reliable. The one I got came with everything I needed to plug it in and start airbrushing. I've been using it now for about 11 years and have never had to do any maintenance or had any troubles with it.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hi Gerard,

You could try any of the LHSs listed here: Victorian LHS Directory

Where about in VIC are you? A couple of us internet modellers get together regularly in Melbourne for a few pots, pints, and chit-chat. If you fancy joining us one evening, please keep an eye on this forum, we'll post the date, time and locale here

Rudi
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 09:26 PM UTC
Thanks guys!

@Angelus: I looked at Sparmax website, unfortunately they don't have any internet shopping. I've emailed them and currently waiting for their reply.. May I ask, which model are you currently using?

@Rudi: I'm at Ballarat (here for a year of studies). Will go visit the LHS the next time I go down. Thanks for the invite!
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
entire network: 66 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 08:57 AM UTC
I've got the AC-100. JB wholesales distribute them in aus:-

http://www.jbwholesalers.com.au/sparmax/sparmax_compressors.htm
hbrien
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 08:27 PM UTC
I'd suggest checking the tools/supplies section of Ebay. i picked up one for around $70 which had an air tank and air regulator/moisture trap from an Ebay seller. it's not a brand name but works well and is very quiet. This is much better than the diaphram compressor i bought from Bunnings a while back where i still had to purchase a regulator/moisture trap and hose connections. worst was it was very loud which is very distracting when trying to focus on the painting. also the Ebay seller was based in Melbourne so shipping wouldn't be to bad.
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 10:19 PM UTC
thanks guys!
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 353 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2009 - 10:28 PM UTC
About 10+ years ago my wife bought me a tiny modellers a/c, it's lovely, but from a model shop it was (even then) $350!

Do you use enamel or water-based or both? My mate and my wife use water based (with meths or proper "thinner") and have great luck. I've had nothi8nhg but trouble but want to be fair and give it a go.
 _GOTOTOP