_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Photo Etch Newbie help please
Wad_ware
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 537 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 03:22 PM UTC
Hi All
I just dove it and bought me my first Pe set for my latest kit - Hasegawa JU 87B-2. I have never done photo etch before and would like to ask anyone for their tips, advice, and tools you use. Some of those parts are extremely tiny and look a little intimidating to work with.
I have done the control panel so far with no problems which did have a couple of very tiny levers which I stumbled into the correct places.
I was hoping I could get tips from you guys that have all ready been there/done that. What is the best way to cut the pieces off without bending the heck out of the reall thin tiny pieces. Some of the pieces you bend so is it better to bend before painting or paint the piece-cut it off-and then bend it..?? I would be greatful for any tips you guys can pass on.

Also-some of the pieces require that you grind/sand away exhisting pieces on the molded parts. I have a multi-speed dremel which will be a great tool for that. For those of you who use a dremel-- There are so many different types and sizes of sanding / grinding tips- what are the best or your favorite bits for grinding and sanding?

Thanks to all of you in advance for your help -
Wayne
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2003 - 03:27 PM UTC
In terms of getting the pieces off the fret, I use a REALLY fine pair of scissors. I also use these for cleanup, generally with good results. Any time the scissors won't cut it (hahahaha), I get out my files. I also have an Etch-Mate, which I swear by. It is an outstanding addition, especially if you are going to be doing PE often. I bend and attach my etch, then paint everything. I can't really comment on what to watch out for on aircraft etch as I am an armor guy, but patience, especially with that first set, will be needed. Those really tiny pieces can be a pain to attach, but once you do so, paint, and weather, it really does add to your model.
 _GOTOTOP