_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Ohio Members
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 02:48 AM UTC
Any Ohioans (sp?) out there? Do ya have any info on the modeling haps in the Dayton area? Clubs, contests, hobby shops, etc?

This Armorama Newbie will be PCSing (moving) from Aviano AB, Italy, with a 'report no later than' of 30 July, to Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio. With, of course, a brief layover in New Mexico to visit the family.

I hear the base has a little aircraft musuem (drool, drool) that I should check out (drool, drool). Air Force One! An Me-262! Lotsa Soviet stuff! (Power Drool).

Thanks ahead of time for any and all info.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 02:55 AM UTC
I'm jealous! I always wanted to get to Aviano when I was in. Hell, anywhere in Southern Europe would have been great.

I spent all of my overseas time in Okinawa, Australia, and the Republic of Nauru - with all too brief stops at Hawaii, Kwajalein, and Guadalcanal.

I grew up in Cleveland. I think you'll like Dayton. It's been a very long time since I was back there - so I can't accurately comment on the state of modeling there...

Gunnie
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 03:22 AM UTC
Hi, Yeah this one's from south of Dayton, and we do have a 'little' musem up here. Probably one of the best if you are into planes!!! But I have to admit that I haven't been up there in quite a number of years now, but my son, who was up there not too long ago, says it is really something to see. I liked the W. W. I bi-planes they had up there myself. And as I remember they had a small model shop in the gift area there, of couse, dedicated to planes. Think you will like it. They also have something call the I-Max theater, which is supposed to be some kind of visual adventure too.

We have some hobby shops in the area too. I usually go to about three. Smitty's on Wilmingotn Ave., Hobby Land out in the Cross Point Center in Centerville, and a small one in Corners by the Mall shopping center across from the Dayton Mall, of which I can remember the name right now. Seems that RC cars are kind of the big thing around here nowadays so there's a lot of that stuff in there. And Smitty's do a lot of model railroad stuff. But Smitty's usally has about the best buys around here south of town on plastic model kits, esp. armor. But no add-ons. And I would imagine that there a a couple up in Dayton proper to, as well as in the city of Fairborn, which sits right next to the base up there.

If I'm not mistaken I do think that the Hobby Land store also has fliers on a model club or two around here as well, if you're interested in that.

So, all in all, I don't think you should have any trouble getting any kits to work on, of just about anything.

Hope you don't have sinus trouble, as southwestern Ohio is supposed to be rated the worst place to live in the nation if you do. Don't know why, but that's what I've heard anyway.

So welcome to the area and enjoy yourself at the Museum.

Wow, New Mexico. Man if I was ever to win the lottery it would be a toss up between there or Alaska! I heard recently that the New Mexico state government told Bush to take his Patriot Act and shove it! My kind of place all right!

Take care, sgirty
Puma112
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2003 - 07:47 PM UTC
Hi woltersk,

I too am PCSing this summer (Ramstein to Hill). The last time I was at WPAFB for school, the Museum was free for Active duty folks. If this is still the case, use the heck out of that one and enjoy. Been to the museum web site? Hit it from work with the .mil address and you can see some cool things. Good luck at WPAFB.

Tracy
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 06:37 AM UTC
Iam from Ohio. up near Cleveland in Willoughby.
Sorry dont have any info. on the dayton shows.

Mike
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 02:22 PM UTC
It has been so long that I don't know if anyone will even see this. We are finally settled in and enjoying the Dayton area. My models survived the overseas move remarkably well.

You are all correct about the museum! It is still free for everyone. And wow, words cannot describe it. I am lucky enough where my job takes me over to the museum's restoration section every now and then. Getting a brief view of the 'coming attractions' is quite the thrill.

I should be posting more often now. Looking forward to hearing from ya'll.

_GOTOTOP