_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
Getting SPAM mail from HobZob?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 02:42 PM UTC
I have been getting reports from people that a new site called HobZob that has been emailing users on our site. While their email claims to only have emailed 25 people (and you are one of the lucky ones) I believe this to be false. In fact I am betting they have scraped our site for emails and used those to send out spam (which is against US law).

If you have received an email like this I would encourage you to do a few things. Email [email protected] (which is the email service they used to send the emails and let them know you received these unsolicited emails that were wrongly harvested from a site you frequent. Second since HobbyTown USA is listed as a sponsor of this company they should also be aware of their connection to a company that blatantly lies in it's communications and defies US law. Their email is: [email protected]

Lastly if you use a web-based email system like Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail, mark these emails as what they are, SPAM.

HobZob... bad way to introduce yourself to the hobby community. Btw this site is part of a mega corp called New Digital Group, Inc. out of Lincoln, Nebraska. http://www.newdigitalgroup.com/

Thanks,
Jim
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 03:20 PM UTC
Haven't received any of these but thanks for the heads up.

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 12:08 AM UTC
Reported..... and copied the email to "[email protected]"
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 03:37 AM UTC
Wow , not a good way for a new company to be starting out ! Thanks for the heads up .
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 03:43 AM UTC
I just received a nice phone call from someone at HobZob explaining that they had some interns go through the site to find 100 people (25 in each group) and emailed those people only. I am happy to hear it wasn't more and it was nice of them to call and apologize for it.

Jim
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 - 01:46 AM UTC
Great to hear that Jim but something on which they shouldn't do or they could have asked first before the went and did that and freaked everyone out ! They could have even advertize on here as well .
 _GOTOTOP