_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
German AFV References
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:16 PM UTC
I'm always amazed at the way so many people on this forum can ID a German tank, even if there is nothing but a shattered hulk remaining. Not only that, but they can nail it down to a particular month of manufacture even if the only clue is the presence or absence of a bracket! While I have an ever expanding library with bits and pieces of this kind of information it sure would be handy to have an encyclopedia of sorts that covered a particular area like German Armor, especially including tanks and self propelled guns. I know there are lots of books covering individual vehicles and each revision thereof, but collecting the full spectrum of them is kind of costly. I'd rather plunk down say $150.00 give or take for a big reference book than buy dozens of individual volumes. I have many Walk Around type books and all the PanzerWrecks series as well as some historical references such as Tigers in Combat I & II.

Is there any sort of one stop encyclopedic reference book or books that contain that kind of detailed, technical information? Or what references of this genre would you recommend?
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:42 PM UTC
Well you could start with this

Encyclopedia Of German Tanks Of World War Two: The Complete Illustrated Dictionary of German Battle Tanks,Armoured Cars, Self-Propelled Guns and Semi-Track (Paperback)
by Peter Chamberlain (Author)
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Encyclopedia Of German Tanks Of World War Two: The Complete Illustrated Dictionary of German Battle Tanks,Armoured Cars, Self-Propelled Guns and Semi-Track (Paperback)

Thanks Pat. I just ordered a used copy for $65. The new copy was $311. Quite a cost savings!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 06:00 AM UTC
Hi Jim,
You picked a good book, this book is always my "go to" reference when I need to ID something. You will also find it enjoyable reading and you'll hate the book at the same time for all the times it is going to make you say "I gotta build one of those!"
After that, for more detailed information and line drawings, I rely on the Panzer Tracts series and the Spielberger series. Each are multi-volume sets, but each volume is inexpensive and you can buy them over time.
With these three sources on my shelves I've never had to go anywhere else.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 - 04:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Pat! My copy arrived today I I went through every single page and read about half of it already! If I was to get nothing else out of this forum from this day on, learning about this book would be worth it! It absolutely rules! Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Of course, I have learned SO much here at Armorama in general during the nearly a year since I joined, I feel like I got an accelerated PHD education on both model building and history!

For anybody else interested, according to the introduction information from industrial production records has been incorporated into the information in the later revisions of this book. It was originally published in 1978 and the copy i got was from 1999. I saw a copy sold earlier this week on eBay for less than $10.00 One sold tonight for just over $20. There are several more for under $20 listed and few much pricier. Amazon had quite a few used in the $50 and up range and a new sealed one selling for stupid money.
tskross
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 02:19 PM UTC
jim just to be clear... are you saying that the production info is in the copy you got (the 1999 one)?

I'd like to know, seems like an excellent reference!
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 02:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

jim just to be clear... are you saying that the production info is in the copy you got (the 1999 one)?

I'd like to know, seems like an excellent reference!

Hi! Below is a sample to give you an idea how the vehicles are described. This one was just a half page, but some are an entire or multiple pages. There is also a list of vehicle types by their numbers, a glossary of the names and terms used in describing German vehicles which is MOST useful as it gives translations. Regarding the mfg info, here's a quote: " ...The missing link in all this research was clearly the manufacturer's records. Inevitably this led to the investigation of German wartime industrial history, and other areas not formerly frequented by armor vehicle researchers. Industrial information has never been correlated in a fashion useful to the tank enthusiast, but production reports for each area, for each monthly period and industrial category yielded small amounts of data which led eventually to a complete picture. Acceptance and strength reports of the OKH (General Staff, Army) provided the final pieces of the jigsaw. In Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two we are proud to present the results of this research. For the first time enthusiasts will know just how many of each model were available to the German Army, and again, for the first time each model is accurately dated. Description and data are more accurate than would have been possible hitherto. The photographs clearly identify features more comprehensively than would have been possible without this new data." Hope this helps! And do check eBay first!

tskross
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 03:33 AM UTC
awesome, thanks! Yeah I've seen the '99 edition around for about $50...Its on my list!
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 02:08 AM UTC
The Encyclopedia is a very good reference book, and its been the first book in my collection. I got mine for US$19.95 in 2006, brand new from Amazon -- I believe its the 1999 edition. I'm just surprised that it now goes for US$50 (used) -- and wow, US$300 for a brand new paperback copy ?!

You may also want to check David Doyle's Standard Catalog of German Military Vehicles. I complement my reference materials with select issues of Panzer Tracts, and several Spielberger translations.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 07:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Encyclopedia is a very good reference book, and its been the first book in my collection. I got mine for US$19.95 in 2006, brand new from Amazon -- I believe its the 1999 edition. I'm just surprised that it now goes for US$50 (used) -- and wow, US$300 for a brand new paperback copy ?!

You may also want to check David Doyle's Standard Catalog of German Military Vehicles. I complement my reference materials with select issues of Panzer Tracts, and several Spielberger translations.

After I bought mine, I saw several on eBay for under $20.00 I just acquired a copy of German Tanks of World War II in Color and it isn't too bad. many pictures are museum recreations but they are identified as inaccurate. Still, there are many useful photos and good information. The condition of some of the vehicles at Aberdeen Proving Grounds are very disheartening. I wish they'd auction them off to collectors or give them to museums so something could be done with them. Nobody is served letting them rust apart like they are.

One thing in the way of reference material I would like to find is about the insides of the various vehicles. I'm working on a Geschutzen Tiger, which although an experimental vehicle, has much very fine detail. I would love to do the interior with the various wiring bundles, lines, hoses, and cables. I'd also like to paint the switches and instruments in the panel with the right colors using other tanks as guides. The back side of the instrument panel is fully exposed so it a perfect candidate for this kind of detail work. I have no idea of the routing of the fuel line or what other lines are likely to be there. I have run into this same thing on other vehicles. Where do the brake lines run on this wheeled vehicle? Where do the head lamp wires route? What colors were the seats? Some vehicles are well documented, but many are not. Is this the kind of thing that Panzer tracts or somebody else covers? It's almost like i need a technical manual for the vehicle that shows all the individual systems.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 13, 2009 - 10:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is this the kind of thing that Panzer tracts or somebody else covers? It's almost like i need a technical manual for the vehicle that shows all the individual systems.

Jim, typical of the Panzer Tracts I have show line drawings of the external views, and these are complemented by period pics. The Pz 38T (PT#18) book do have pages showing interiors. The Spielberger books that I have seen do tend to offer more in terms of internals and schematics. As I understand it, Spielberger's work focused more on the design and engineering aspects that make up a panzer, i.e. his Special Panzers book have pages of the Maus and E100. Am not sure how much detail you need, short of getting hold of a technical manual, should there be surviving copies available. I'd say there are materials available, though they may not necessarily be in one volume reference. Anyways maybe the other forum members can pitch in to what you're looking for. Cheers -- Tat
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 05:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Is this the kind of thing that Panzer tracts or somebody else covers? It's almost like i need a technical manual for the vehicle that shows all the individual systems.

Jim, typical of the Panzer Tracts I have show line drawings of the external views, and these are complemented by period pics. The Pz 38T (PT#18) book do have pages showing interiors. The Spielberger books that I have seen do tend to offer more in terms of internals and schematics. As I understand it, Spielberger's work focused more on the design and engineering aspects that make up a panzer, i.e. his Special Panzers book have pages of the Maus and E100. Am not sure how much detail you need, short of getting hold of a technical manual, should there be surviving copies available. I'd say there are materials available, though they may not necessarily be in one volume reference. Anyways maybe the other forum members can pitch in to what you're looking for. Cheers -- Tat

Thanks Tat. You confirmed what I thought. I would think if there are any surviving Technical manuals they are highly collectible, expensive, and rare. I also have an interest in aircraft an had a Wright Cyclone radial engine in my kit stash. I came across an technical manual for one on eBay some time ago and it went for an insane amount of money. I saw a photo album of WWI snapshots taken at an airfield of airplanes and men, some one's personal memoirs, sell for almost $20,000.00. It's too bad someone who owns something like an original TM wouldn't enter into a business venture and have it reproduced. I would think there would be enough of a niche market for it to make it both affordable and profitable.

I wonder now if modelers who detail interiors are just making educated guesses when they add detail? I guess if nobody knows for certain, who's to call them on it? It's interesting that many WWI and WWII aircraft interiors are still known in excruciatingly fine detail and the knowledge is so accessible that these are perfectly rendered in in even flight simulator video games. Yet, many ground vehicle interiors are not well documented in any comprehensive manner.

Ah well, another potential business opportunity to pursue after i win the lottery and become a man of leisure!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 06:32 AM UTC
Another good series of books ... particularily on evolution of a particular model ... is the Achtung Panzer series. Great dawings and images of each change, which it makes it very clear, and perfect for modellers. Its a pity they´re written in Japanese ... English versions would be brilliant ... but still a "great to have" series.
 _GOTOTOP