_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Packing fragile unbuilt models for moving
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC
As most of you know I am in the process of selling my house and living the retired life. You also know about my scratchbuilding of the 1/72nd scale Panzer IV J that I am working on. My question to all of you is this, something as fragile as my scratchbuilt Panzer IV J, which I still have a lot of work to do to it, how do you or how would you pack something like this for moving? Since I have a lot of tiny and brittle pieces I am at a loss to think of how to do such a task.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 04:37 AM UTC
You can try with cotton wool. Get a tiny box for all the small pieces and lay down a layer of cotton wool, lay down the pieces, another layer of cotton wool and then close the box. If you fear that the wool can get around the pieces and you risk to break them when you take them off it just lay a plastic film (the one you use in the kitchen) between the cotton wool layers. Get another box for the bigger parts or sub/assemblies and do the same... I did it several times and I never had problems...
Ciao
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 04:37 AM UTC
You might try custom cutting a matching hole in a piece of packing styrofoam. Maybe double over some masking tape to lay under it with a couple inches on either side. This will be the sling to raise it out of its hole. Tape the excess down for transport. Double over some more tape, enough to lightly hold the tank in place, with the ends undoubled. Loosely apply this perpendicular to the sling. This should do the trick. Congrats on the house and good luck on the move.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 04:51 AM UTC
My method involves the plastic "shoe boxes" that you can often buy from Target for a buck. I cut a piece of foam to lay in the bottom, and just sit the model on it. I've been transporting my models in various sizes like this for well over 10 years, on planes, trains, and automobiles without an incident. Works great for airline screeners - they can see everything inside.

They make good huts to store model in-progress parts in too...

Gunnie
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2003 - 08:54 AM UTC
The last time I moved it was only 10-15 miles. I transported all of them myself. got several of those box tops off the Xerox paper cartons and taped the bottoms with two sided tape. placed the models flat on the tape and put the boxes on a leveled out back seat and front seat. Then drove very carefully over obstackles. No runs, hits, or errors. I hope you are facing similar circumstances. The big move from Alabama to Texas busted the crap out of 75% of which 10 were totally hopeless and junked for parts
 _GOTOTOP