_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hi everyone :-)
WLJayne
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 54 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum, I just thougt I'd introduce myself. This looks like a really great place for modellers and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's work.

I've been modelling since I was tiny. I think I was three when I sat down with my dad and made a Red Arrows Hawk. Though I got impatient and tried to make it with pritt stick! I was soon doing it all by myself and thus began a lifelong passion that has lead to a budding career. I'm in my final year of university, studying for a bachelors in Modelmaking for Design and Media (yes you can study modelmaking!) if you're interested check out the course's website, there's some awesome talent there. I started my own company, Gwylan Models last year making 1:1250 scale collectable model ships. It's going really well so far and I'm seriously considering going full time with it after I graduate.

I don't get to build many models for myself unfortunately, and I like to do the occasional kit. Though I really love scratchbuilding if I have time. If I'm doing a kit usually I try to go all out on the painting side as that's definately my favourite part. I really enjoy designing models, and I am very keen on CAD and CAM which is my main professional focus.

At the moment I have a miniart T-70 and Zis-3 in front of me, and I'm planning a diorama at the moment. Some kind of waterside scene with a scratch built half-sunken fishing boat. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in, and I've been doing alot of research and I'm almost ready to go.

Anyway, my housemates are hassling me to go to the pub, a few brews would go down nicely tonight. See you all around, I'll post up pics of my work for crtique some time .

Will.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:53 AM UTC
Welcome aboard. Looking forward to seeing your skills as a modelmaker.

Don't forget to send news of your company products to Model Shipwrights news ream
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 09:30 AM UTC
Welcome to the site Will
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,329 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 11:11 AM UTC
Welcome to the site buddy . where are you studying that?

Try
http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/

WLJayne
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 12:24 PM UTC
The Arts Institute at Bournemouth. It's a great course - really intense though, you really have to love modelling not to go insane!
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 08:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Arts Institute at Bournemouth. It's a great course - really intense though, you really have to love modelling not to go insane!

LOL crazy .

What was the entry requirement for the course?

WLJayne
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 02:57 AM UTC
Well they aren't that bothered about grades really, what they want to see is a portfolio that shows you have creative talent and like to work in three dimensions. If you can show that you're really keen and enthusiastic at the interview they will like you. They generally prefer stuff you've done yourself (scratchbuilds etc) but diorama's with a kits would be ok. Also I doesn'y hurt to put in some quick models just to spice the folio up a bit like a house concept or something, even if it's sketchy. They just want to see that you're open minded about what it means to be a modelmaker. It's a great course you do all sorts, like film work, architecture, costume, animation (CG and traditional) all sorts. It's a massively broad course. We have all kinds of ages too, it's never too late to apply.
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 05:49 AM UTC
I know im currently doing A levels so i think im going to wait until i've finsihed them first until i decide what i am going to do

WLJayne
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 09:38 AM UTC
Yeh thats probably best. If you are interested in that kind of course I'd reccomend you do a foundation course in art and design first. It's basically a door to univertsity courses in the creatice disciplines. the Arts Institute has a really good foundation course and most people on it go straight on to a degree coure at the institue.

Will.
newfish
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 05:41 AM UTC
Thanks buddy!

bizarro1
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 30 Posts