_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Painting By Rattle Can and Brush. HELP!!!!
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 200 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 08:29 AM UTC
Group:

I know I will catch plenty of flak from the guys, but I know I need a airbrush but at this time, I don't have the skill level to pour that kind of money into my new found hobby. I have completed two projects and have two small ones on my workbench that I'm completing. I have been told by friends and family member that they came out great.

As we are so critical of ourselves, I want them to be better. My wife is a graphic artist, so she gives me some great pointers as far as painting. I'm backlogged with around the house and need her to take some photos of my projects so I can show the group.

I have read as much as I can on KitMaker about painting. Seeking from the group any tricks that may help an "OLD SALT", "SEABEE", like myself to improve on his painting skills with a can and brush. I have some big projects in my stash that in the future, I will have to breakdown and get an airbrush to make them look great.

A quick note about an airbrush issue I had. I picked up a real cheap one from Harbor Fright for around $9. I had the air can attachement and spent another $10 for the can of air. Well, I couldn't get the suction to work, the air can kept freezing up and I went through the air can in about ten min, without any paint coming out.

I sent the airbrush back to the store, got my money back and was fustrated in my home workshop for about a week. I then went back to building and painting with a can and brush.

I guess what I'm saying is, HELP!!!!!!

Thanks to a great group of guys and gals. You all have opened my eyes to a new art form.

Sam
dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 09:34 AM UTC
Sam, I don't think their is anyone who doesn't want their paint jobs to come out good. I have an air brush but no compressor so i paint with a brush. I try and use polly s paint for the outside of vehicles. I use model master jars for inside and small jobs. The old polly s paint worked verywell and left no streaks, covered in one pass. I still use polly s but I don't think it's as good as it used to be. I usually have to use two or three coats to cover and it leaves some brush strokes at times. I think you will just have to experiment with different paints and ideas. Don't get discouraged with your projects, just do the best you can and try and please yourself, and have some fun in the process.
Joe
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 02:16 PM UTC
Thanks Joe.
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 05:29 PM UTC
Hi Sam,

It's great to hear that you're enjoying the hobby so far.

There's nothing wrong with progressing at your own pace and whilst an airvrush is nice to have, it's by no means essential.I think every single one of us learned the basics while brush painting and there are some very talented brush-painters out there.

Please let us know what paints you're using, as different paints have their individual quirks and many of us have our little techniques and adaptations to get the best results from particular brands.

It sounds like you may have been caught by the "freezing can" syndrome - this is quite normal when using propellant cans. As "air" is discharged from the can, the can chills. This is unavoidable - it's a basic principle of physics. As the can temperature decreases, the ability of the dissolved gas to "boil" out of the propellant solution is decreased, lowering the pressure available, to the point where it's unable to draw paint. At this point, one should stop trying to airbrush and allow the can to return to room temperature to restore pressure. However, if you were unfamiliar with this phenomenon, you may have tried to continue using the setup at a reduced pressure and basically empried the propellant can at a pressure which was essentially useless for airbrushing.
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 03:35 AM UTC
Phil;

Great info and as of right now most of my paints are Testors brand.

Sam
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 03:52 AM UTC
Hey Sammual,

Some tips for using rattle cans,

Make sure the cans are very well shaken, spend at least 5 to 10 minutes just shaking the SOBs.

Use a primer, i use the type found at auto parts stores (Canadian Tire) usually the red oxide stuff. I have found that it is very thin, dries quickly and really helps paint adhesion. Don't use the high build stuff, too thick. I make lots of thin passes, don't try to cover in one coat, it's alot easier to add a little then to take it off.

You can try to brush the panel lines with a darker shade and then mist the base coat over top to try and get some depth. After which a very light misting of tan or sand colour varying the coverage for weathering.

The key to any type of spray painting is to go easy on the coats, do not rush the application. Keep the nozzle at least 8 inches away from the surface.

hope this helps

cheers

Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 04:00 AM UTC
Rick:

Thanks for the info and I'm starting to see some of my mistakes. My workshop is in my garage and it does not get to cold in Sunny San Diego Ca, I do have a space heater and warm the area up. That I'm sure may be a problem with my paints this time of year. I will take your advice on shaking the cans for 5-10 min.

As with anything in our hobby.......practice, practice, practice.

Sam
keroopie67
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 54 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 06:34 AM UTC
HI Sam,
This post has not much to do with painting with a can and brush, but.....
I noticed that you said that you were in San Diego ........ and me and the family were heading down soon. Are there any good hobby shops down there?
I know that there are lots of military naval bases/airbases etc. - which ones are ones we can tour? The Midway Carrier it there as I have read - is it good for references for the naval aircraft etc.?

As posted before, I also shake the cans very well and use the primer paint from hardware or automotive stores. It is cheap and plentiful, but try to get a namebrand (krylon etc.) as I have found that the no-name brands don't cover as evenly. I also put the spray can in LUKE WARM water for a few minutes before shaking again and then spraying.
*DON'T put the can in HOT water or else it could explode on you.*
It seems to make the mist a little more fine and even. If you start to spray and it comes out in clumps, it could need more shaking, and a little more time in the warm water, or the nozzle is need of cleaning (I use a bit of paint thinner on a Q-tip and wipe it around the nozzle opening). I also use a paint mask (with filters) and spray in a well ventilated area.

I have even found "camo" paint in the can in military colors that spray on with a matt finish, or some blue "naval" colors that can spray on a satin finish for aircraft.
Good luck,
ERic
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC
Eric:

Thank you for the info and if you need info on San Diego or Southern Ca, I'm your man. I retired from the Navy in San Diego and the hobby shops are great and reserch for typs of Naval Ships and Aircraft are great. The USS Midway is a great starting point. You also have the Aero-Space Center in Balboa Park that host aircraft from around the world. Another great static display area that is open to the public is The Air Center outside of Mirmar Air Station.

Keep in contact with me and I can get you on a base so you can get up and personel with some great equipment.

Cheers

Sam
keroopie67
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 09:01 AM UTC
Hi Sam,
I know this is off topic from the paint questions .....I was just wondering.....
Which Hobby shops do you like? I have looked up a few on the internet, but your opinion would be appreciated.
We will be there for a week - we plan to do Legoland, Sea World, Scripps Aquarium, Coronado, La Jolla (I know not much time for everything). My wife want to shop a bit.

As far as naval/marine airbases etc., I would like to take a few hours to check out some public displays - my family isn't into this hobby, so I would be dragging them around, and have limited time. I will check out the museum at Balboa - sounds like a neat park to visit!
Do you have suggestions for areas where to eat/shop with the kids that are unique to San Diego?
Any suggestions for places to get military surplus stuff ?
Many thanks in advance!

Eric
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 09:16 AM UTC
have the can stand in bowl of water this will help.
You could also warm the water but only to tepid. NOT HOT!
you could explode the can.

Once you finish with the can go get a compressor. Cans
are a false economy.

I use a brush most of the time and only resort to the airbrush for
particular effects. Those old time coach builders only used brushes
and got perfect results.

Rules I follow.
Multiple thin coats with a day or at least
a few hours between will improve your finish. Don't go over wet paint
let it find its own level.
Paint on a clean dry surface.
It's all common sense really. As for airbrushes. Once you get one,
just practice on paper till you are confident you can do what you want.
Cover areas, detailing, shadowing, highlights etc

Most of all have fun.

JP
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 01:06 PM UTC
Hi Sam , Nothing wrong with the brush painting at all or using rattle cans . Placing the paint can in lukewarm water works well . It helps to thin it out more and keeps the pressure at an even level .

For brush painting you can do the same as well and add a few very small drops of dish soap , mix very well DO NOT SHAKE !!!!! the paint will level off better getting a smoother finish .

Those cheap 10 dollar airbrush are not worth it at all ( you pay what you get for ) The cans of air work very well . I used them for years before I got my airbrush . You can also place the can in a saucer of lukewarm water to keep the can from freezing and keep the pressure up . Never use hot water for this .
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 02:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For brush painting you can do the same as well and add a few very small drops of dish soap , mix very well DO NOT SHAKE !!!!! the paint will level off better getting a smoother finish .

Hi Terri.

While that may help with some acrylics, it won't work with enamels. They simply won't mix (oil and water and all that ).

Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2009 - 06:03 AM UTC
Thanks to all for the info. I'm sure my skills will improve with the help you all have given me.

Eric, If you go to Balboa Park, the San Diego Zoo is located there and its a short walk to the Areo Space Center. You are also only 5min from Downtown Gaslamp District. Great places to eat and shop. You also may want to try Mission Valley. That is about 10 min from downtown. Great Shopping and dinning. As far as hobby shops, I use Discount Hobby Warhouse, 858-560-9633.

Sam
keroopie67
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 03:56 AM UTC
HI Sam,
Thanks, that is the type of info I was looking for in San Diego!
Cheers and best wishes for great brush and spray can finishes!

Eric
keroopie67
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 04:03 PM UTC
Hi Sam,
How is the painting going? One thing I forgot was to try to aim the paint at right angles to the surface of your subject. Follow the contours of the subject (like the curve of a tank turret)when you spray to keep the coverage even. I have made the mistake of spraying "across" the surface at a shallow angle and having paint bead up and ruin the finish.

BTW we had a great time in San Diego. We took the ferry to Coronado, and I noticed a lot of helos - Seahawks, and AH-1 Sea Cobra flying over. From Point Loma, I looked through some binoculars and watched F-18s flying over the Naval Air Station. Hit Legoland for the kids, Balboa Park (HUGE layouts in the model train museum), San Diego Zoo, La Jolla. Beautiful city! We felt relaxed everywhere! Didn't hit any hobby shops - too busy checking out the city - but I would love to come back.

Cheers,
Eric
 _GOTOTOP