_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Weather or not
Kurt_Knispel
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 09:39 AM UTC
Hi All
I see most of you weather your models, and what great results you guys get, myself I like the fresh and new from the "showroom"look, just a curious question but am I alone with this.

Kurt

BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi All
I see most of you weather your models, and what great results you guys get, myself I like the fresh and new from the "showroom"look, just a curious question but am I alone with this.
Kurt

Weathering is just not limited to how a vehicle will look after being used. It also has to do with bringing out details that might be hard to see at smaller scales.

A pin wash will bring out the separate panels or joints if you will and dry brushing will highlight raised services, both bringing out some great details.

Additionally I have seen some German factory photos that show rusted tracks. I imagine that there is a photo for just about everything out there.

It also has to do with what you are trying to portray, or even if you are trying to match a known vehicle or a second in time with a photograph.

It just boils down to individual tastes,
Bob
Kurt_Knispel
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:14 AM UTC
Thanks Bob, a very insightful answer, Never heard of a pin wash, so I looked into that, Im always suprised what I learn in this great forum.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 01:59 AM UTC
I used to be like you Kurt before I found sites like this and modeling mags. Even then I was afraid o do anything in case I ruined weeks of effort on building & painting until I eventually decided to put into practice some of the tips and hints I'd seen. It is worth it.

My tip: practice at first on older models
Tanker9
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 165 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:32 AM UTC
I agree with Sean, practice on older models. I've also found it can be helpful to try a bit of weathering on the undercarriage of the vehicle. Any mistake will most likely not be noticeable, depending upon the plans for the model of course.
 _GOTOTOP