_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Brass, Copper, ABS...
ZombieKraut
Visit this Community
Aargau, Switzerland
entire network: 72 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

as I progress in this fantastic hobby I find it more and more necessary to ad more and more details that most off the shelf kits can't supply. I've seen many people do amazing things with copper wires, brass and thin abs sheets. I'd very much like to start experimenting myself but so far I've had little luck actually finding these materials. Can anyone really recommend an online retailer where you can get thin sheets of abs plastic or brass?

I'd greatly appreciate your help!

-Mike-
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 09:29 AM UTC
Get your wire from old electrical items that are beyond saving, the other items may be easier to pick up from an art store/hobby shop as it can be hard to decide what you want/need from an online store.
Hatter50
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 478 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 12:31 PM UTC
Mike,

You'll need to spend half your life in hardware, craft, art, and other weird stores "Browsing" for "Stuff". I get some of my finest wire in the beading section..........some sewing sections. Ultra Thin monofilament definately in the sewing section (rarely in the fishing section). I get all my thin aluminum "stock" from used beer cans. (I like making them empty). You need to be ALWAYS on the hunt. "Hmmmmm what could i use THAT for"? I get kinda embarrassed going into the cosmetic section............but there is "Stuff" there. You'll need to spend as much time THINKING about a part as actually building it. You'll build some of your own tools.

It's a scavenger hunt. A FUN one.

Regards
Steve
dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 01:48 PM UTC
Mike, I took an old computer mouse apart and found alot of parts that can be useful. You will need a soldering iron to help release some of the parts. their is some fine copper and aluminum wire inside the cord. Their is some larger copper wire also inside some of the parts. Be careful some of the parts are sharp. Their are some small plastic boxes inside also, but need to be released from solder. Joe
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 - 10:05 PM UTC
Really cool stuff can be found inside old electrical stuff. The thinnest wire I've come across is inside light bulbs. The next time one blows, scavenge for all the tiny parts. USB thumb drives are cool to take apart too... although that could be expensive!

You will be surprised at how useful old sprues or resin casting blocks can be. Never throw away the interesting shaped ones!

Chas
 _GOTOTOP