Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Need some opinions on a 2005 SAAB 9-3 ARC
tmas01
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 115 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 11:03 AM UTC
Hi All,

Unfortunately, my 89 Bimmer is on it's last breath....that means time to car shop (my least favorite thing to do).

Been looking at a "05 SAAB 9-3 ARC but have read some very mixed reviews (Edmunds and such). If anyone could speak from personal experiences or knows someone who owns one, it would help me out a lot.

choices narrowed to 3 (the SAAB is the best for me price wise (but if it's in the shop a bunch, that kind of negates that)

1. SAAB 9-3 ARC 2005
2. Audi A4 2004
3. Volvo S80 2005 (also looked at a 2004 S40)

if I hit the lotto tonight I might consider another BMW

thank so much
redcobra04
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 235 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 11:19 AM UTC
Better hope you hit the lottery. You could end up with a SOB story. The least one i have worked on is the Audi. Shame you cant find another BMW in your price range. Far superior to what you have named.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 08:17 PM UTC
Personally i'd go with the Volvo, then the Saab, then the Audi, but it's just personal taste.

From my knowledge the Saabs have problems with their Driver Information Module stopping working and loosing dots out of the display, meaning that the messages are unreadable.

Try looking at some of the dedicated Saab Forums to try to get more info.

I was looking between an Audi A6, Saab 9-5 and Volvo S80 (2007MY), and have decided the Volvo best suits my needs, and i think has the least dull interior, which is important as i do upwards of 17000 Miles per annum.

HTH

Andy
tmas01
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 115 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 21, 2009 - 09:59 AM UTC
thanks for the advice...I joined a SAAB forum, and they all say that a lot of the issues were from 2000 - 2003 (especially 03) and all the kinks have been worked out from 05 - pres.
Anyway...still looking and keeping options open.
I did like the Volvo i test drove, but the dealer wouldn't budge on the price. Apparently he missed in the news that there's a RECESSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!