_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
polystyrene
tylusfaust
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 08:35 AM UTC
Does anyone know where to buy blocks of polystyrene online? I'm looking for good thick stuff that I can cut and shape as I like. I can't seem to find a place online.

Thanks in advance.
SteveReid
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 10:32 AM UTC
Tylusfaust,
I think I know what you need. I use aerated PVC which can be purchased from a plastic supplier. I get this material in various thicknesses. If I knew what you were looking to do I could advise you better.

If you are making something like a tank turret get some .250" and laminate 3 layers together ( with super glue). This material carves like wood and takes putty and paint really well. It basically behaves like styrene except that it does not glue very well with Methyl Ethyl Ketone (liquid styrene cements).

This can be drilled, sanded, machined etc. Good material to have around.

Send me a PM if you want more info-

Steve
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 12:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

. This material carves like wood and takes putty and paint really well. It basically behaves like styrene except that it does not glue very well with Methyl Ethyl Ketone (liquid styrene cements).

Steve

Very true but it DOES glue well with fairly inexpensive PVC glue available in nearly any hardware store. ;-)

I've been looking for large (1"/25mm and bigger) polystyrene stock for years and have been assured by several dealers in industrial plastics that such do not exist.
PVC comes in a close second in terms of usefulness for me, followed by poured resin slugs (and idea I got from Steve Zaloga), and then acrylic rods and laminated sheet.

If by some chance you do find a supplier of styrene in large sizes please let us know.
And good luck on your search!

Mark
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 04:00 PM UTC
Styrene sheet is available up to .250" thickness in a 4'X8' format. Almost all commercial suppliers will sell partial sheets. White and black are standard colors.
Other materials for shaping and machining are acrylics(Plexiglas,Perspex,Lucite,etc.), PVC type 1 impact grade (gray), and ABS(black and natural-an ivory tone).It's an alloy of acrylontile,butydene,and styrene resins.It's used for casting mock-ups,protos, and light to medium duty grade parts.
Then there are the foamed PVC sheets for the signage industry. Usually white is always in stock and up to 19mm(.750") in thickness.Various trade names for this material.
Some commercial suppliers across the U.S. are Laird Plastics,Commercial Plastics, Port Plastics. Check the yellow pages in your phone book.
Have fun!
Rick
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 01:15 PM UTC
http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Styrene_Hi_Impact
i think one or two of the large sheets should last for a while
 _GOTOTOP