Hosted by Matt Leese
Glue Question...
dreamer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 08:58 AM UTC
I know this has been asked before, but what kind of glue is best used on models? I'm on my very first scale model (Italeri M1a2) and really don't have a clue on what type of glue to use on certain parts of the tank. I currently have a testor's cement pen but it doesn't do too well on holding the big parts together, such as the hull and turret. I figured it would maybe be best for the smaller details. I hear Elmer's regular white glue can be used mainly, am I wrong there? What do ya people recommend? I appreciate any help.

- sean
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 03:23 PM UTC
Elmer's is only good for stuff like clear pars (canopies) I use Tenax 7R or Plastruct Plastic Weld for Styrene. Testor's bottle cement works well, too, and is commonnly available. I also use Zap-A-Gap for resin or PE parts. Zip Kicker accelarator gets the CA ready real fas, but it generates a lot of heat.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 03:56 PM UTC
The Testors liquid cement Al recommends is great for a beginner builder. It is found in the model aisles of even local Wal-Marts. If you have a hobby shop or even an arts&crafts store, they will definitely carry it. Although it comes with a little applicator brush in the lid, I generally use a smaller fine point brush just for this cement. Found in the paint rack area of the hobby shops and costs about $1.50-$2.00 a bottle.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 04:06 PM UTC
Or if you can't find those, just go with the "classic" Testors glue in the orange tube and blue tube (non-toxic). Both are designed to be used with styrene and bond well. A good idea is to not apply directly out of the tube, but to put a little on a piece of card board -- or similar item-- and use a toothpick or paperclip to apply the glue to the parts. It doesn't take much to get a good bond -- you just need to be sure the bond is in the right place.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 04:42 PM UTC
Sean,
Definitely try one of the glues that has been suggested. What the styrene glues(Testors, Tenax, Plastruct) do is actually soften the plastic up just enough so in effect the parts become "welded" together. If you use Elmers anywhere besides the clear parts the pieces will come apart. I am just finishing up the Italeri M1A2, if you have any small clamps, I would suggest clamping the 3 lower hull pieces together while they dry, or at least hold them together till the glue has set for a few minutes.

Good luck,
Mike
Shahrid
Visit this Community
Damansara, Malaysia
entire network: 116 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 08:06 PM UTC
Well here I have not much choice. I use either Revell or Tamiya glue but they work well even glueing small plastic components in 1/72 scale models.
Machu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 208 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 11:57 AM UTC
I use "Ambroid ProWeld" it dries extremely fast and is really strong
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2003 - 02:51 AM UTC
I use revell contacta professional it seems to work ok, the only problem im have with the applicator nozzle is that it has a habit of clogging up with dried glue.For pe and resin etc i use a variety of cyanoacrylates(superglue) and when needed flashtac accelerator.
HTH
Peter
 _GOTOTOP