_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Bush Telegraph
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Victoria fires, are you ok?
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 01:31 AM UTC
Well I've been reading of the destruction and seeing footage on the news. Death toll 80+.

How have the fires effected modellers from Melbourne?
MerlinV
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 09:20 AM UTC
Hiya,

I spent the weekend at our Property in Gembrook waiting for the worst. Thankfully we did not see a flame or even an ember (other than cold ones).

But the fire season is far from over...

Thanks for your concern.

Cheers,

Hugh
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 09:58 AM UTC
Glad to know you are ok. Stay safe.

I will be praying for everyone's safety (and I really mean it when I say pray! ).

Chas
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 - 04:18 PM UTC
Thinking and Praying for all you guys and girls in Victoria at moment - hope none are affected but like us in Brisbane if there is any needs in near future when you actually get to read this please ask
Ian
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 08:42 PM UTC
Our mate David Brown (LestWeForget) is part of the army force that has been mobilised.
Spoke via SMS a few days ago and this afternoon he rang me once he finally had some downtime.
They have been performing search and rescue functions in areas where the CFA and police hadn't been yet. Dave wasn't able to talk for too long but it sounds very grim.

Let's hope the politicians and media stop milking it for ratings and ensure that the survivors get the assistance they require.
youngc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 09:05 PM UTC
Dave, Good on you mate.

Praying that everything returns to relative normality very soon. If we can contact any modellers who may have had homes destroyed/damaged, I'm sure there are those of us who can send lost modelling gear (when the time is right).

Note to all Aussie members; keep a look out for users who are normally active. If we can confirm that they have been affected by the fires then contact me, and we might get a fund going.

Chas
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 01:09 PM UTC
G'day lads
Yeah we moved in on Monday the 9th of Feb, just after black saturday.
We were tasked with the initial search and rescue for Flowerdale, and once that was completed we moved on to do the same job in Kinglake, and then Marysville.
We were operating for just over a week before the next rotation arrived and we could go home, but by then the search and rescue element was basically finished.
It was far from pleasant, however everyone did their jobs to an outstanding level, and the community support and appreciation for our efforts was fantastic.
Cheers
 _GOTOTOP