_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
tamiya puty dicontinued ?
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 08:47 AM UTC
so i went to my LHS today looking for some tamiya puty to play with, he said all he had was 1 quick type epoxy , 1 basic type , and 2 light curing packs . he also said it was temporarrily discontinued , i bought them all . any news on tamiya putties ?
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 - 09:46 AM UTC
If what you're saying is true then there's gonna be alot of angry modellers out there especially as a large number of us use tamiya's putty for zimmerit coating as well as other uses let's hope it's just a temporary set back
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 03:07 AM UTC
the owner did mention that it had something to do with the U.S. environmental protection agency problems , it might just be a U.S. thing until tamiya changes the formula :]
pzkfwmk6
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 456 Posts
KitMaker Network: 231 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 - 03:17 AM UTC
My LHS told me the same, that it was banned due to cancer agents. So do what I did and go to Luckymodel.com and buy a crapload for yourself. With shipping it came out to around 3.50 a tube which I think is decent. HLJ has it listed also. I ordered some for the LHS and made him happy as well.
Tanker9
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 165 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 - 03:59 PM UTC
Yikes! My LHS also informed me of the same thing-temporarily discontinued!

Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 09:23 PM UTC
Glad I saw this! I just ordered 10 tubes of white from LuckyModel! There was something similar to this that came up a few months back that was found to be a California Only type of regulation making whatever the product was unavailable there. Seeing posts from other states saying the same thing means this isn't the case here.

That would stink if the only putty we could get here was Testors!

Did anybody explain what "temporary" meant?
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 - 09:30 PM UTC
"Temporarily discontinued" is what they're saying about their spray cans here in the UK. I gather the reason isn't the content, it's that the labelling omits some important (possibly new?) safety information. Once it's been redesigned the stuff should be available again. Whethet this applies to putty in the US, though, I can't be sure.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 09:13 AM UTC
Don't prepare for the apocalypse, guys. This exact same thing happened with the Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. It IS temporary. In my experience many LHS owners are notorious rumor addicts and frequently have less facts than we do.
The problem is that the product warnings are in Japanese and the distributors are now not allowed to import Tamiya products unless the product warnings are in English. This is particularly true with volatile/ toxic/ flammable products like cement and putty.
Matter of fact, it happened to Mr. Surfacer, too. Remember the scare? That was temporary also.
If the "putty embargo" runs the same as the "cement scandal", it will be back in stores by the end of the summer, with English warnings.
 _GOTOTOP