_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
I got a new camera, I got a new camera!
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 09:11 AM UTC

Hi all. Well, every year we get our tax refund and every year we blow it all on debts and bills.
We were VERY frugal this year and totally on the ball with bills. We had enough left over to buy a new camera. So, we got a GOOD one!

I (and my published photograper wife) now own a Nikon D60 DSLR with 10.3 MP and two lenses. An 18-55mm standard lens and a 55-200mm zoom lens with vibration control. We got an awesome deal too with the extra zoom lens being free and Gigi picked out a couple of filters and we got a free camera bag too.

I am sooooo stoked.
Celebrate with us!

Cuhail
jrrivc
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 207 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 09:56 AM UTC
Conratulations Murph, You got your self a real nice package there. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've got their D50 , and just love it . Learning new ways all the time . I've got my eye on their 18-200mm vr lens, but its a its alittle pricy. Would be nice just to use one lens. Where did you get your gear ?

Frank

CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 09:58 AM UTC
WhooHoo! What a nice camera! Congrats! Expecting lots of great photos
Cheers,
Charles
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:08 AM UTC
Nice camera.....
Now you are obligated to post more photos.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Conratulations Murph, You got your self a real nice package there. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've got their D50 , and just love it . Learning new ways all the time . I've got my eye on their 18-200mm vr lens, but its a its alittle pricy. Would be nice just to use one lens. Where did you get your gear ?
Frank

I went to Best Buy first and found the package we liked...then we went to a local store called Wolf Camera and got a better deal for the same package and more.

To Grumpy and Charles-

Look for tutorials and how-tos. I have stuff written, I just had to wait for the good camera to make an appearance.

I
AM
SO
PSYCHED!

I have to wait for the wife to get home because the camera is her present. The Wolf Camera is giving classes for new DSLR customers. I will be taking those classes so I know what the heck Gigi says when I show her fuzzy pix! Maybe I'll learn how to avoid them altogether.

Hard to keep my hands off the bag.

Cuhail
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:56 AM UTC
Hi Murph

I recently bought the Nikon D40 DSLR as a Christmas present for myself. I can't wait to build a little table top light tent set up for photographing my models. I know you'll have fun with yours so enjoy!!

Bob
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:37 PM UTC
I have the D80, it rocks. Looking forward to my next lense 18-200mm VR. Mine came with the 18-55mm and 70-300mm lense.

You will enjoy your D60.

KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
entire network: 4,011 Posts
KitMaker Network: 879 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 01:08 PM UTC
Right on Right on!
one like this? http://www.wired.com/images/productreviews/2008/09/nikon_d60_dslr_f.jpg
A good camera opens a door to a whole new area of the hobby and the satisfaction.
I have a Cannon.

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hi Murph,

If you haven't already, pick yourself up a card reader,... with the amount of photos you'll take, the card reader will save you a ton of time! Much faster than downloading directly from the camera.

Enjoy the Nikon,

Frank
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 01:23 AM UTC
Murph,

Yes, Frank is so right about the card reader. Also do not be affraid of using the full resolution setting. I use it for everything I take. A 4 gig card will hold like 1100 pictures even on the top setting. The battery will last a fairly long time as well.

Also get a set of filters. They are much cheaer to replace if you scratch one as compared toa lense. A friend of mine found that out the hard way.

thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 02:49 AM UTC
Good for you Murphy , I myself was stoked when I replaced my Kodak camrea with a new and better one .
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 04:25 AM UTC

Hey all.
I did get a card reader. It reads the cards from both the D60 AND the CoolPix 1200 AND is a 3-port USB hub too.
As far as filters, we got a diffuser, a UV filter and....a third one...I can't remember which one. Gigi is an accomplished, published photographer who's worked with good cameras a lot and knew what both she and I would need. I also got what's called a "Puffer" which diffuses the flash, so, I can photograph my scratchbuilding stuff without all the white plastic washing all the details out. Since Gigi has worked with the Canon Rebel EOS DSLRs a lot, she really had the ability to assess the comparisons between the EOS and the D60. She says that the D60 is capable of doing a lot more than the EOS and is more user-friendly than the Canon camera. Plus, it was less expensive than the Rebel EOS, had more package offers and the store we got it at was awesome taking care of us. We totally endorse Ritz/Wolf Camera stores. Our salesman, Chuck, answered questions Gigi threw at him clearly and openly. He made sure to tell us everything we needed and made every attempt to save us some money.
We're also looking into plans for a home-made photo tent. I can make the frame easy enough and material is only a Hobby Lobby run away. It has to be convertable because models are small, but, the swords and scabbards I work on are pretty long.

Yeah, were pretty stoked!

Talk soon!
Cuhail
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 08:45 AM UTC
Murphy,

Very cool! Congrats on the new camera, lenses and goodies!! Looking forward to seeing some pics soon.

Darryl
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 759 Posts
KitMaker Network: 131 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2009 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got my eye on their 18-200mm vr lens, but its a its alittle pricy. Would be nice just to use one lens.

I've got the 18-200mm, and it is worth every penny. It never went on sale, and Nikon was repeatedly selling out, so I just bought it at full price, and I haven't regretted it.
 _GOTOTOP