_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Reference Books? (diverse topics!)
all_lucky7777
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 07:10 PM UTC
I've decided to buy some books for these hobbies, and was wondering what the best are for each thing. The topics are pretty diverse.

So what are the best reference books for:

1. Model tank, aircraft, ship weathering
2. Fantasy/Sci-Fi figure Painting
3. Terrain/Dioramas/Landscapes etc

I've decided to buy some Reaper fantasy minis, some small scale WWII planes/ships/tanks, and maybe create some realistic dioramas with them, for the sake of trying to become a better hobbyist. These things are all fairly cheap. I just thought it was important to get the best books on the market for reference.

I understand that this isn't an overnight thing, I've been playing Warhammer 40k for three years, which involves all three topics above. I just want to set the learning process moving.

Any Advice?

Thanks!
-Zack
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 - 02:31 AM UTC
I love the Concord series of books on Modern armor. I'm sure their WWII reference books are equally good.

Going by your specified interests you might just want to subscribe to something like Fine Scale Modeler magazine. It usually has about 4 detailed articles on diverse topics, a very good and inspiring readers gallery, new product reviews and readers tips.

For the sci-fi you might want to check out www.starshipmodeler.net
It's just like here (great forums, reviews, gallery and nice people) except for sci-fi subjects.

Cheers,
Sean
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:55 AM UTC
Hi Zack,

I cannot recommend the best book in every modeling area because I simply have not seen them all. However, I can offer some advice in my areas of interest.

For terrain modeling, Advanced Terrain Modelling (Modelling Masterclass) by Richard Windrow is very, very good. I learned more about modeling from that book than any other. It comes in two editions. I own the older one, but would recommend the newer one as it contains updates and additional material. I recommend this without hesitation.

For armor modeling, the most comprehensive volume I own is Armour Modelling by John Prigent. The book unfolds as a series of projects, with each getting successively more difficult. A different modeler takes on each project, exposing the reader to a few different painting styles and construction methods. However, it may leave a new modeler with unanswered questions so I recommend it with some reservations.

Again for armor modeling, F.A.Q., Frequently Asked Questions on AFV Painting Techniques by Mig Jimenez, is currently considered the best single book on painting and weathering AFVs. It does not cover construction, and the text wanes sparse, so a new modeler may get lost. However, if you can master the painting and weathering techniques therein you will produce stunning models. Recommended with some reservations.

For sci-fi and fantasy figure painting, I have yet to find a really good book on the subject (not for lack of trying; I paint Fantasy and Sci-fi figs too). I have no real knowledge of modeling books on planes and ships, but painting skills for one genre will translate.

Before you spend a lot of money, I would very much recommend looking at some of the build logs here and on other websites. These logs usually explain important building, painting, and weathering tips in great detail, and often with MUCH better pictures than you will find in any book. Even better, if you have a question you can ask! After you read 10 or 20 good online build logs you may not need the books after all.

Good luck with your projects!

Hopefully someone who paints figures will come along and offer some suggestions.

-Doug
all_lucky7777
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 09:20 AM UTC
Thanks, both of you. I think I'll pick up advanced terrain modeling, and I just picked up a copy of that F.a.q. book Doug and I were discussing, from squadron. Man I wish there was a good 'all-rounder' book for sci-fi/fantasy figure painting. Still hoping someone will come in here and suggest one.

Thanks Greatly!!

ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 1,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 09:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So what are the best reference books for:

1. Model tank, aircraft, ship weathering
2. Fantasy/Sci-Fi figure Painting
3. Terrain/Dioramas/Landscapes etc
Any Advice?

Thanks!
-Zack

I wholeheartedly recommend the Osprey modelling masterclass series on Terrain , Building and Landscape by Richard Windrow. They are brilliant
Cheers
Al
 _GOTOTOP