History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Amazing find near st Petersburg
Fagester
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 06:58 PM UTC
Imagine going for a nice Sunday afternoon stroll in the forest and you stumble across this amazing find.......

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=066_1232643827

There must still be some cool things waiting to be discovered in those Russian forests.
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 2,012 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 07:37 PM UTC
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=066_1232643827

Amazing find, that's if it's real !!!
Sorry, I hate to be such a pessimist but it looks to be in too good a condition, especially after sitting out in the elements for over 60 years.
Unlike tanks and other bits and pieces that have been found sitting in a deep, airless bog, this plane would have been exposed to everything from sub-zero temperatures, rain, sunshine and UV rays, etc......
The wrecks condition and it's paint and camouflage looks just too pristine for something sitting outside for so long.
I hope it's authentic but I have my doubts.

jjumbo

update: just found a site that says it crashed in 1943 and was found in 1989, that's only 46 years.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/1961008507

46 years is a bit more believable, I guess those cold winters in Russia preserves everything !!!
Fagester
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 07:58 PM UTC
Have a read of this, there's a bit of history about the actual pIane. I think this plane is 100% genuine and was apparently being restored by JME aviation in the UK. The vid is quite old, 1989 apparently.

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/m-lounge/8868724-1.html
Fagester
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 08:08 PM UTC
While we are on the subject of Russian battlefield relics check this out...

This guy is an absolute loon, take note of what he finds at about 5.30 and what he does with it! MENTAL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTy8Txfq5BE&feature=related

I would love to go digging around those battlefields but the high risk of death puts me off a little.
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 01:06 AM UTC
Definitely real! Who would ever take the time and money to create such a realistic looking damaged plane and then dump it in the middle of a Russian forest!

Aircraft have been found at "ground level" before, especially in Pacific rainforests where soil doesn't build up much (trees rapidly use leaf litter). I guess the same could be said for this Russian forest. The canopy blocks sunlight= limited UV damage. Usually, WW2 aircraft found in rainforests are incredibly rusty because of all the moisture and humidity. This plane is aluminium so rust wouldn't be a problem anyway.

Thanks for sharing Graham, I activated your links up too

Chas
B24Liberator
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 134 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 12:07 AM UTC
Graham -

Nice photos. 1989...? OLD..??? I guess you're right, as it WAS 20 years ago! Where did the time go to..?? Yikes!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

While we are on the subject of Russian battlefield relics check this out...

This guy is an absolute loon, take note of what he finds at about 5.30 and what he does with it! MENTAL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTy8Txfq5BE&feature=related

I would love to go digging around those battlefields but the high risk of death puts me off a little.

Yep banging that Tank mine around is a tad crazy indeed.

We might be reading about him in the paper soon,not by what he found but how many pieces he is in.
no-neck
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 87 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 01:27 PM UTC
Graham, I don't know about the FW-190 But it seems to me that the guy stabbing his shovel into an old battleground and throwing mines around may be up for a Darwin Award in the future.
Blueheeler
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 06:08 PM UTC
Definitely a headline waiting to happen!
Fagester
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Graham, I don't know about the FW-190 But it seems to me that the guy stabbing his shovel into an old battleground and throwing mines around may be up for a Darwin Award in the future.

Your definately right there! I was having a look at some of the other videos on You Tube of battlefield relic hunters and there are plenty of lunatics out there. Found one where they actually set off some mortars that they find.

I guess there is a lot of money to be made selling relics on E bay. Not sure you could get away with selling live bombs though!
Rubicon
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2009 - 03:29 PM UTC
The guys who recovered the famous P-38 Glacier Girl from under 200 plus feet of ice fired the 20MM cannon from the nose.

The ammo and guns were all still fine. I read it in the lost squadron book by David Hayes with pics.