_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
good resin models
bmill25
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 26 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 04:00 PM UTC
I want some advice on who makes a good beginner resin model. I'd like to do a nice, relatively inexpensive model for my first one. Also any advice would be appriciated. Thanks.
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 04:13 PM UTC
Hi Brian there are quite a few resin manufacturers out there these days but one of the best ones at the moment in my opinion would be Plus Model they go together quite nicely and compared to Verlinden they're relatively cheaper hope this helps
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 08:47 PM UTC
putting resin and inexpensive in the same sentance is a bit of an oxymoron....I'm not a fan of full resin kits just because of the expense and even getting resin AM bits can prove expensive (especially for some of the Humvee upgrades)

Havng said that, I have done some 1/72 scale full resin kits of the new Battlestar Galactica kits: http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/35th-scale/Models/IMG00030.jpg
These are relativly inexpensive and available over on http://www.starshipmodeler.biz

Cheers,
Sean
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:38 PM UTC
Like the others have said, full resin kits are not inexpensive. The cheapest you may find is around $50-$75. Also, if you haven't really worked with resin, it would be better to start with some resin conversion or upgrade kits first. They will give you some practice working with it. Its not hard to work with resin, it just takes some different techniques. Go slow and you will do fine.
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 180 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 07:35 AM UTC
I agree Gino when i first started with resin i basically bought a small 2 figure set from verlinden and whilst it was a bit awkward to work at first i soon got the hang of it the hardest part was having to saw off those damn lugs before sanding and then constrution i ended up with one or two blisters but the pain was worth it in the end
Downeynz
Visit this Community
New Zealand
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 12:38 PM UTC
I make alot of my own resin parts for my model trucks and I also make for others and to sell. Resin parts are great but also very tricky to make sure you don't get any air bubbles.
 _GOTOTOP