_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Chisels or Knives? What to use to remove?
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 1,163 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:44 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I have a question since I am unfamiliar with these tools. I have started using more detailed PE sets and now need to scratch off and remove some of the detail to replace with the PE. However, my Xacto blade proves inadequate to reach into smaller areas or areas dense with detail.

A friend of mine suggested using chisels, while another recommended Hasegawa's tritool surface knife. I looked at online shops and became more confused as there are different chisels with different blade types and the Hasegawa's tritools both have a surface knife to remove detail and different chisels.

What is the tool that will best help me? What is the use of chisels and their different blades? Can you help this confused modeler so that I purchase the right tool?

Thanks in advance. Happy Modelling!
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 12:15 PM UTC
Hi Emre,

I've not used the Hasegawa tool (in fact don't even know what it looks like), but I use a chisel blade with my hobby knife and it works very well for both removing PE from the fret and removing plastic/resin detail. I also use it to remove resin casting blocks from figures.

If you have a look at this entry on my blog, M8 HMC: Preparation (the same details is posted here on Armorama), scroll to near the bottom and you'll see the chisel blade I use (with the big red handle). The same handle is also used for my razor saw and holds wider hobby blades. I find it very versatile, and wasn't very expensive.

HTH

Rudi
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 1,163 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 07:59 PM UTC
Hi Rudi! Your reply was very helpful thanks, in fact I just realized I have a chisel just like yours, included in a knife set given to me as a present. So much for looking but not seeing, I guess happiness was not too far away
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 01:01 AM UTC
Hi Emre,

No worries

I have one of those knife sets as well - and also a gift It's amazing what's in those sets - I realised the other day that there were scribing tools in my set, something I was seconds away from (unnecessarily) buying

Rudi
 _GOTOTOP