_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Where to get square or rectangular punch set?
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,114 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 01:58 AM UTC
Yeah, exactly that -- like a hex or round hole punch for plastic sheet.

Looking in the size of 2 to 3mm.

Please let one exist!!

Thanks
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,998 Posts
KitMaker Network: 257 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 04:15 AM UTC
Historex Agents in the UK stock these ones

punch and die set

HTH

Keith
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 11:12 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply Keith, But I'm looking for squares and rectangles instead. WOnder if there's a way to make it?
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 04:46 AM UTC
No one?
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 05:24 AM UTC
Nick,

They can be made. There's apparently not much of a market out there for them. the trickiest part would be making the plate. round is cake to make... Drills an reamers are readily available hex as well as far as broaches to remove the hex shape. It's not often you see small square broaches. A good tool and die or machine shop should be able to make one.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 06:01 AM UTC
Nick,

My guess is you're trying to punch out square holes in a sheet (as opposed to making squares from a sheet).

A source for brass square tubing in the 2-3 mm size:

http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/partslist/tubesquarebrass/brasstube/all/1/3/

I would then file the inside edges to sharpen the end of the tube for punching out square holes in a sheet (I've seen tool tip descriptions for doing the same for a punch made from a hypodermic needle for making rivets & washers or for making holes in a sheet).

I would then epoxy the sharpened tube into a larger aluminum, brass or plastic round tube (I would use something like J-B Weld for the epoxying of metal to metal) to make a "handle" and a larger end for tapping on with a small hammer for punching out the holes.

Does this make sense? I can make a diagram if my description is unclear.

Jeff
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 06:42 AM UTC
Tubing will work but it's gonna be tough on them, if you're trying to punch thru thicker sheet styrene.
beckz5
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 17 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 04:38 PM UTC
Micro Mark
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 01:43 AM UTC
Thanks for all the responses. Looks like brass tubing that I've to sharpen the edges -would be the way to go.

Matt, I would go to a machine shop...but I've to locate a "small" one first and then I'd most likely have to see if they would even do it. It's quite troublesome as I don't drive and well most of these are out of the way or not internet friendly. But thanks I'll keep that idea in mind if something else turns up that I'll have to make.

Jeff, yes you're right - I want to punch out rectangular sections thru 020" (0.5mm) styrene sheet from Evergreen. Hearing that brass tube will do and tapping a hammer will be the idea-- I believe I can locate these tubes locally.

I'm researching an idea of selling my 1/350 scratch built Hanger Decks for the Tamiya Enterprise CVN-65 aircraft carrier. I had some request for these via email and decided to post a little poll at modelshipwrights to see what happens.

There are approximately 294 square-ish cut-outs for the ceiling to enable lighting via LEDs, as I found on my Enterprise reference book. I cannot bear to think of doing it all over again by hand, but now it can be done via tubing-method. Kind of stupid that I didn't think of that before!

Still, I'm waiting to see via email from a company-if they can laser cut those holes and the cost. That would be the best alternative!

BTW,what do you guys recommend I place below the styrene sheet I'm punching thru??? Wood, rubber cutting mat..?

Thanks guys!

matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 03:55 AM UTC
Nick,

Totally understandable. Bigger ones might be willing to do it.. ya never know unless you ask.

I'd go with (soft) wood or a cutting mat. They'll both be relativly easy on brass tube.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 09:55 AM UTC
Nick,

One thing I forgot to mention - leave the tube open all the way through the "handle". That way you can insert a tooth pick or wire and push out the punched out "square".

Also, make the tube as short as possible (the portion sticking out of the "handle") will make it more durable.

It sounds like you're making an array of square holes. It may be possible for you to make mutiple square punch that has the spacing, say a "5 x 5" which would have 25 tubes. The problem will be how you can get the spacing right and the punch ends all even. I probably would drill evenly spaced round holes in 1/2" -1" thick piece of plexiglass and epoxy the brass tubes into the holes. Then you can "sand" the tubes even on a large enough piece of fine grit paper, then file the cutting edges on the insides.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 03:03 PM UTC
Thanks Matt, I'll use either my mat or wood.

Jeff, roger your info, I'll leave the tube open and make it short.
That's a great idea on multiple tubes. I figure I'll have to first draw grid lines on the ceiling with the cross sections marking out the holes location. Then trace a paper template over them or a plastic template by following dimensions, and thus building the mutli-punch jig on that dimensions and tube placement.
Seems like 7 x 4 holes = 28 tube jig would allow me to complete a full section at a time and repeated around 10 times to complete the whole ceiling.
Plexiglass looks like the best option--since it's transparent and I'll be able to see what I'm doing !
Is that a particular type of drill bit I need to use for plexiglass?

majjanelson
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 04:31 PM UTC
Nick,

You should be able to use a standard 1/8" drill bit, but you want one that is sharp and has a good point.

Use a slower drill speed and a drill press if you can get to one - this will make your holes parallel and perpendicular as long as the plexiglass is clamped down flat.

If you can't get access to a drill press, then I would drill some smaller (1/16" diameter) pilot holes to help the larger bit stay in place when you drill with it.

Jeff
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 04:15 AM UTC
OK 1/8" would be it. Time to make use again of the old Proxxon drill and drill press I bought in 1999 in Georgia. Shows that a little quality goes a long way.

I'll post some pics once all is ready.

Thanks Guys.

Jeff & Matt, I'll email you guys soon.

_GOTOTOP