_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
PALM TREES, I need lots of tiny PALM TREES !
pagodaphile
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 62 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 01:57 AM UTC
Does anyone know of a quick and dirty method for making palm trees in 1/700 ?
I've seen some beautiful examples in say 1/35 , for armor dios, etc ,but, as beautiful as these are, (down to the coconuts !) I am looking to do alot of these relatively quickly for some Pacific island dios.
Any ideas out there ?
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,274 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 11:38 AM UTC
Well, since mature palms can grow to more than 50 feet in height, in 1:700 that would put your trees in the 1-inch range. If your budget can stand the strain, ready-made palms in that size range should be available, but to cover any decent stretch of jungle would require many trees...

To scratch build them in that size, I'd probably whittle down round toothpicks or styrene rod to get a tapered trunk effect. The fronds can be made from .005-inch styrene sheet and a fresh hobby knife blade. Draw the outline of the frond on the sheet and then make a series of parallel cuts to produce the individual blades, taking care not to cut too far inboard and server the central spine of the frond. Make the cuts up to the desired length of the frond, then do the same thing on the opposite side. Cut away material at the base to form the stem. After several such fronds have been cut (and probably several fresh blades as well), paint with shades of green/yellow and then install in the customary bunchings atop the trunk made earlier. Now you have your first tree!

The good news is, in the tropics many types of plant life thrive on islands, so you could resort as well to supplementing your palms with model railroad sponge foliage, particularly for ground-level growth.

Good luck!

--Karl
 _GOTOTOP